Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

removed my Radiator Fan Shrouds

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by adamforsythe, Mar 22, 2005.

1. adamforsythe

adamforsythe 1/2 ton status

Hello,
    My Radiator Fan Shroud was so busted up I finally removed it. What will this do to my engine?
    I know it will run hotter but by how much?
    Thanks
    Adam

2. flatline

flatline 1/2 ton status

I don't have shrouds on my radiator, but then again I am running dual electric fans.

just be careful when you are near the fan when the truck is running 1 slip could be fatal!

You shouldn't really notice a huge temp change, but you won't have as reliable cooling from your stock fan.

3. adamforsythe

4. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

I haven't run a fan shroud in my truck since I installed my BBC. I have 180* thermostat and the hottest the truck has ever gotten is 210* while wheeling on a 90* day! I do plan however to install either shroud or electric fans.

5. flatline

flatline 1/2 ton status

I have a nice fan shroud if you want it, just pay for shipping

6. adamforsythe

PM SENT
    Thanks
    Adam

7. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

That Summit piece looks like nothing more than a guard for your hands.

Purpose of the shroud is to make sure that the engine fan has no choice but to suck air through the radiator. Without the shroud, the fan "sucks" air from everywhere, instead of pulling it all through the radiator, which reduces the volume and speed of the air.

Problem will be experienced at idle and LOW vehicle speeds. From my tests (removing the fan and driving around) you don't need the fan over about 15MPH on flat ground with no load on the vehicle, so fan shroud won't make a difference *in my case* above that speed. Each vehicle will be different though.

8. mikayak390

mikayak390 Registered Member

Had the same problem with my truck. I tried no covers with the new engine. I was running around 220 in the winter, but by summer I was running 240 at idle and if it sat still to long it would start climbing. I had to run the heater for a week in the summer until I bought a cover from a junk yard. The truck now runs between 200 and 210. It has never gone above 215 even when towing a 6000lb load all day in the summer in traffic.

My tbird did basically the same thing, I ended up building a cover out of stainless steel for that. It makes a big difference for me.

I had previously believed they were useless hand protectors as well untill I saw the difference in my truck.

Btw. fiberglass and some epoxy are really easy to use and allow you to fix the cracked plastic cover fairly easily.

9. MTMike

MTMike 1/2 ton status

In my old '79 I had 2 electrics: (1-16" and 1-12") and I overheated on hot days driving around town, never dared trying them on the trail becuase of their around town overheating.

I took the elecs off and put a 19" Flex fan on, did great around town, overheated on the trail on a 90 degree day last year on the Divide Ride. Put a shroud on w/ the Flex Fan that night, on the next day, it was 100 degrees and I never got above 190* climbing the mountain trails.

I'm a firm believer in fan shrouds after that.

-Mike