Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Removed roll pin from D60 carrier **UPDATE**

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by KRAZIE87K5, Oct 21, 2002.

1. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

ok... I've hit this thing with everything I have short of the 10lb BFH. I even broke out the air hammer to hit the punch with, and it DOESNT budge. Have I done something stupid, or does this thing just not want to come out?!!! /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

2. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Re: Need help removing roll pin from D60 carrier

There's a little bolt that screws into one side of the carrier housing that acts as a lock to keep the pin in. Rotate the carrier til you see the bolt head and remove that. The pin should slide out once the bolt is out. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

3. KRAZIE87K5

SOB... I knew I was going to **** something up! It was just too stuck. Thanks Wes! I'll give that a shot right now, and let you know the results ASAP. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

-Dan

4. thatK30guy

I forgot another thing.....can't remember if the D60 uses the bolt or a split pin to lock the roll pin in place. It's simply a piece of rolled tubing with a slit down the length of it and its tapped into the hole via hammer. To remove it, get a punch smaller than the diameter of the hole, but large enough to sit on the split pin and drive it out.

Either the split pin or the bolt is used to lock the roll pin. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

5. KRAZIE87K5

Westy... looked for the pin... but I dont see anything. Is it under the area where the ring sits on the carrier? That would really blow... cause I didn't really want to pull the carrier outta the diff.! /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif Where is it hiding?

-Dan

6. KRAZIE87K5

um...

your "split pin" = my "roll pin"

I dont have the bolt on the side, there is a small bore with a roll pin (or split pin) inside, and I CAN'T get it out. WTF? I feel dumb-founded... maybe I need to go to bed...

-Dan

7. thatK30guy

Ok, now I know what you mean....what I call the "split pin" because it has a slot down the length of the tube. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Can you get a pic of the carrier assembly up? I know its a hassle, but its been a while I worked on a D60, so if I saw a pic, my memory would come back to me. Unless someone else can help you out better. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

8. KRAZIE87K5

I'll have a pic in a few minutes... stand by! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

-Dan

9. KRAZIE87K5

10. thatK30guy

Man, this sucks! /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif I'm at a loss to tell you how to get that pin out.

11. KRAZIE87K5

Hmmmm.... that is not good news! But thanks for trying Wes! Anyone else out there? Next step is rigging something with a 1/4" extension... gringing off the male side of the extension, inserting that into the hole, and going hog wild with the air hammer to see if that can move it. I'm not sure though... I was really layin a whooping on that poor thing in both directions, and I swear, it didn't move at all! /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

-Dan

12. SCOOBYDANNN

SCOOBYDANNN 1/2 ton status

If i remember right--the pin only goes in and out one way---the first pic is the way it comes out----what i ended up doing was hitting the center pin itself (actually breaking the roll pin) and going and getting a new roll pin.---probably not the best way to do it-but it worked.---good luck

13. Mr.Chevy4x4

Mr.Chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

You just need a good roll pin punch that is the same diameter as the hole. Then just drive it out with a LARGE hammer. As long as the punch is the same size as the hole, you shouldn't distort the pin and cause problems.

Mike

14. KRAZIE87K5

Anyone have the size of the punch I will need? ALSO, can I do this with the carrier in the diff still without damaging anything?

Thanks all.

-Dan

15. Mr.Chevy4x4

Mr.Chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

I bought a set from Sears that had the right size in it. If I remember correctly, you can drive it out towards the ring gear if you roll the carrier up to where you can get the punch in there beside the main cap bolt. It has been a year and a half since I fooled with one so my memory isn't too clear, but I think I am telling you right.

Mike

16. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

ScoobyDann is right, the roll pin only comes and goes through one side. The hole does go all the way through but there is a step in the hole to stop the pin in the correct spot. Just go at it from the other side and it should come out.

I've never tried this with the carrier in the housing but from the pics it looks like you could do it.

17. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Keith had a time with that pin and had to by the corret punch to get it out. As I recall you need to put the punch in from the backside of the ring gear and drive it out the other side. If you have 4.56 gears....that cross shaft is not coming out. You have to remove the ring gear.
    Keith has the right tool but He's a little busy helping his wife have a baby right now. Should be on in a couple days once things have settled down for him.

18. KRAZIE87K5

Give Keith and his wife my congrats! And I wouldn't be too concerned... I WILL have that pin out TONIGHT! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif No way in hell is any little pin going to kick my @ss two days in a row! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

-Dan

19. KRAZIE87K5

Well, I know I have the 4.10 gearset, so I shouldn't have to remove the carrier or the ring, which is GREAT news! On the other hand, I was only trying to drive the pin out towards the ring side of the carrier, vs trying the other way... only because I'm right handed, and its easier to swing the BFH with the right hand! /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif Anyways, I will be rigging up something tonight, and taking out the air hammer to get this pesky SOB outta there from the other direction... towards the drivers side.

I'll post pics later tonight! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

-Dan

20. m j

m j 1/2 ton status