Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Removed stock air cleaner,now runs rough

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by muddbogg89, Jun 23, 2004.

1. muddbogg89

muddbogg89 Registered Member

I took off the stock air cleaner on my 87 burb and replaced it with a open element filter.Of course there is nowhere to put that tube that connected to the stock one.
    At first it died out a couple of times,then it ran ok.
    I took a 1100 mile trip and on the way back it would die for just a half second.Enough to where the criuse control would turn off and the fasten seatbelt light would come on.But it wouldint fully die out.
    Now ,it happens more frequently.
    The motor is mildly built and likes the extra air.But you can hear the air blowing from where the tube was.
    Should I take the belt off the air pump? Will that help this?
    Any other ideas?
    Thanks in advance

2. down4thakrown

down4thakrown 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

the hose that used to go to the air cleaner where does it come from? Try drilling a hole in the bottom of the airfilter bottom retainer thats in between the filter and carb and stick the hose in there.Your carb might need to be rebuilt too.

3. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Exactly . Actually most aftermarket air cleaner bases have the knockout there you remove to attach a hose . And also anytime you change intake and exhaust , you must readjust the carb , no way around it if you want it right /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

4. muddbogg89

Thanks for the qiuck responses,This a TBI motor,so the computer does all that right? Do I really need the airpump?

5. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    Do I really need the airpump ?

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you really need to pass emissions ?

BTW I am almost ready for bed , didn't catch it was an 87 with tbi . I'm still stuck on carbs for now /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

6. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Why did you go to an open element with a TBI? You will make more power if you leave it stock. The stock system will flow more air than the TB can handle. The cooler air drawn from the front will make more power than the hot air from inside the engine compartment.
    Is the tube you are talking about the vent hose for the PVC system? If it is. You need to hook it up. Your PVC valve wont work right and cause driveability problems by making the MAP sensor get wrong readings. Also it can suck un filtered dirty air into the crankcase.

7. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

I agree, you need to slap the stock stuff back on. You'll get cooler air that way and cool air means more power. If you think your having problems now, wait until it gets cold...it's gonna be a bitch... /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

8. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

Fuel injected engines are much more sensitive to air intake temps.

I wish I'd never put the open element air cleaner on my truck, and I have a carb. Now I'm stuck with a $45 air filter I hate to loose going back to stock type air cleaner.

9. muddbogg89

ok I just put the stock one back on.It had died out completly on me twice today.
    It's strange that the open element filter didint affect my old 89 blazer at all,it's actually the cleaner from it.Hopefully it should go back to normal.Although I will miss the growl it had with the open element.
    Thanks Guys