Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

removeing the ac unit

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by stiches, Nov 22, 2005.

1. stiches

stiches Registered Member

does anyone know how long how or chanlleging it will be to take out the ac unit and replace it with tin?

2. 6.2puller

6.2puller 1/2 ton status

what unit? the compressor? the condensor? Their ar a lot of parts to the AC.

3. stiches

make it so it never was there....i was looking on the main page under the moving battery to back thing...and it cleaned up the pass side firewall

4. 6.2puller

6.2puller 1/2 ton status

Well, doesn't look to bad. You would have to pull the radiator to get the condensor out. Then take out the compressor and hoses. That would just leave the heater box area. That is what they show in that article. You could always get the shroud pc from a non ac truck to cover that.

5. stiches

On my truck it doesent have a fan shroud...lol...

I just want the firewall cleaned up...what does it take to get that big ugly box outta there

6. 6.2puller

6.2puller 1/2 ton status

I meant the shroud that is around the heat and AC on the firewall. That big pc of plastic you are refferring to. Non ac trucks have a thinner smaller one, not as clean as the article but much smaller than the ac units.

7. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Not that hard really, just takes some time. Pull the compressor, condensor and hoses and you'll be down to the big ugly firewall box thing. A bunch of sheetmetal screws is all that holds it on. Took me a couple of lazy afternoons and I had the entire (and I mean entire) factory heater/AC system removed from my 85.. down to the dash controls, venting and everything.

j

8. stiches

hmmmm....sounds like a fun project for me to start....and finish...all i want to do is clean up the engine bay a little bit...and get it running strong...

9. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

What I did ('cause my non-AC heater box dissappeared :confused: ) was to cut down the stock AC box. First I removed the box off the truck, then removed the evaporator. The "box" is peaked (or pyramid?) shaped. I cut the peak off flat, even with the fan side with a cut-off wheel (it's only platic and fiberglass). Then I glassed the whole front opening so it's flat. A little bondo, and black paint, it's looks factory. I'll post a picture if I can find my camera. :wink1:

10. crazyhole812

crazyhole812 1/2 ton status

Hey Jek, i have my a/c out and was considering getting a small in-cab heater. do you have a heater for defrost or anything?

11. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

yeah, I have a Summit-brand mohave heater. 28,000 BTU, dual vent version. Its mounted and has the coolant lines running to it, but I haven't wired it up yet... mainly because my entire interior is stripped and I'm going to go with a 100% custom tube/AL dash. I'm going to rig up some defrost ducting using the factory plastic parts I have laying around and/or some dryer hose lookin stuff from the hardware store, shouldn't be too hard. I may even get crazy and try to run some ducting to my seats... nothing like heated seats in a dedicated offroad-only truck. :grin:

j

12. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

Use the condenser for a tranny cooler.

13. crazyhole812

crazyhole812 1/2 ton status

cool, i saw one in JC Whitney for 199 with the 2 outlets it is also 28000 BTU i think i will ask for it for christmas and see if my wife really loves me