Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Removing 14 bolt carrier?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sled_dog, Feb 23, 2004.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I removed the bearing caps but I can't figure out how to remove the 14 bolts carrier. Its really making me mad. I figured it would just lift out but I guess those tolerances are too tight cause it barely moves at all. Tried prying it out and again no luck. What am I missing?

2. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

Did you back off the adjusting nuts? Make sure to mark them first so you can put them back where they were.

3. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

on each side of the carrier there is a round "thing" with holes. Just use a screwdriver to turn them a couple of times. Keep track of number of turns though. The carrier will just about fall out.

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Adjusting nuts? Oh the things next to the bearings with all the holes?? Nope didn't do that /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif Do I really have to mark them? The rear won't go back together until it gets rebuilt. I'm emptying it to make it ligher to move around under the rig while working on the 4 link.

5. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

If you're not planning on putting it back together with the same parts that are in it now then you don't really need to mark them. It will make it easier to establish a baseline to start from when you reassemble it though, regardless of what parts go back into it.

6. owen

owen 1/2 ton status

...AND- be careful not to drop it on your foot. I seriously thought about going back to a 10 bolt after my accident. My little toe swoll up about this big: /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

7. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

yeah I just pulled it out, putting it together is the race shops problem /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif. Gonna be the same carrier but new bearings and gears so I'm not worried about it. Sure is nice without that carrier, I can lift and move the damn axle myself. Have it under the back end of my Buggy finally /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif