Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Removing 6.2L injection pump

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by afroman006, Jul 23, 2003.

1. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

How do you do it? I pulled the 3 bolts off that hold it on but now it wont pull out. It feels like the part that goes into the block is stuck on something. Is there something else I need to remove to pull it out or am I just being a pansy? Thx

2. 6.2 man

6.2 man 1/2 ton status Premium Member

You have to remove where you put the oil in and remove the bolts that hold the gear on the pump . You can see them .Remove one and rotate engine till you see the next one .Hope that helps .Let me know if you need more info

3. Batmanjr

Batmanjr 1/2 ton status

Careful not to drop the bolt in the engine!!!! Or you'll be taking the pan off! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. arveetek

arveetek 1/2 ton status

Yes, as was mentioned, you need to remove the oil fill tube off the front of the engine by removing the two nuts holding it on. Pry the tube out...it may be tough...it's just shoved into a rubber grommet. You'll then see three bolts going into the pump gear and into the pump shaft. You'll need to rotate the engine in order to get the bolts out one at a time. Use a bar and socket on the crankshaft to turn it over.

Use a magnetic socket on the pump bolts if you have one. You don't want to lose a bolt down inside the engine.

Casey

5. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

I'm parting the engine out so I'm not worried about the bolts. I'll still be carefull though. With the strap holding the pump on, is it held on by studs? I tried taking them off but they twisted the strap holding the filler neck on and now they wont hardly turn at all. Is there a trick to it or do I need to just keep muscling it? Thx

6. edeslaur1

edeslaur1 1/2 ton status

Put a wrench on the hex nut behind the strap, your socket on the nut in front of the strap. Pull the nut off, then the strap. The stud you can leave in or take out.

You're likely not going to muscle it, so your other option is to cut the strap.

It's more of a PITA on a van. Ask me how I know. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Pop out the tube, remove the glow plugs, & spin the motor over by hand until bolt #1 is visible and pull it out. Repeat 2 more times.

OR, AT YOUR OWN RISK, /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif put the 3 nuts back on, unhook the fuel lines from the injectors, pull all the glow plugs and turn the motor over with the key in very quick on/offs. If you don't do at least the above, you risk trashing your pump big time. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

When you pull the pump out, the plunger and spring may or may not stay in the pump. Don't lose those down into the engine, the buyer will want them. So pull the pump out slowly & keep it level.

7. 6.2 man

6.2 man 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I always put a crescent on the strap to kep it from moving and then loosen the nuts