Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Removing 700R4? Need advice fast...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by bennett, Feb 23, 2002.

1. bennett

bennett Registered Member

I am about to remove my 700R4 from a 90 Full size Jimmy. What's the suggested procedure? Take the t-case off the tranny or try to remove it together all at once? I will be using a lift and hydraulic tranny jack.
    If I remove the bolts of the t-case adapter to 700r4 will it seperate easily or are there any hidden tricks I should know. I will remove and have a pro rebuild the tranny. I save 400$ if I pull it. Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks guys

2. greg83k5

greg83k5 1/2 ton status

i always bring them down as a unit- i can get it to balance on a jack without the transmission cradle thingy.....

take off your starter, undo your 3 flexplate bolts, unplug the little wirepack, trans cooler lines, transfer shift stuff in cab, shift linkage from shifter in cab, undo bellhousing lower cover and bellhousing bolts to engine, noting that tab for the dipstick, get it out from the top.... of course d-shafts, then the crossmember bolts and bring it down as a unit at the crossmember, where the balance is for a 700r4/208(241?) combo is..... be sure to suck the unit back a bit, and don't let that torque converter drop off the nose of the transmission....!!!!!!!

greg

* keep the greasy side down *

3. 1BAD88

1BAD88 Registered Member

When I replaced mine I ubolted the t-case first I had a bad tranny to t-case seal then I dropped the center crossmember (with a jack under the tranny)then I unbolted the fan shroud then brought the jack down about 3 inches.this gave me better access to the top tranny bolts and linkage then I took out the tranny bolts and it came out pretty easy .once I had it out I looked at all my mounts and seals turned out that the rear main was leaking so I replaced everything as I went .the tranny was sent out for a rebuild and it cost me 750 with a warranty + the cost of 2 new engine mounts and a new rear main seal but i put it back in the same order and have'nt had a problem since .hope this helps.good luck

1988 k-5 blazer 5.7

4. MOABDADC22

MOABDADC22 1/2 ton status

If you have the factory exhaust with the crossover pipe, it sucks butt. The TH700R4 just BARELY squeezes through the space. I had to do some re arranging with a ball peen to the pipe to get it to fit.

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.moabdadc22.alloffroad.com/>http://www.moabdadc22.alloffroad.com/</a>Real four wheelers don't need tools to remove body panels, paint, tail lights..etc.

5. Greenblazer-AZ

Greenblazer-AZ 1/2 ton status

When I did mine I took them out seperately. I didn't have a tranny jack. Be CAREFUL of your distributer! It could hit the firewall. I supported the back of the engine with a jack to keep my distributer off the firewall or you could remove it before you take out the tranny. I used a homemade wood box cradle to install the transmission, and ratchet straps to install the t-case. I did it almost completely by myself. The only part I had to have help was with starting the first bolt on the t-case to tranny adapter, the rest of it I did alone. Having a helper would have made the job go a lot faster. I'm sure having the proper jack will help a whole lot.

If you knew the truth, you too would be against marijuana prohibition!
    Blue '74Blazer Topless W/ 35 BFG Muds1" Body Lift W/ Energy Susp. Bushings

6. blazingmike

blazingmike Registered Member

I would also jack up the engine before the crossmember is removed. If you don't the weight of the tranny with no support could damage your distributor. I removed the transfercase and tranny seperately. personal preference(easiers to control 2 -200lb objects rather than 1 400lb object).

7. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

Awh yes the ol 700. Take them down as a unit like said earlier and put them back in as unit, way way way easier if your good with your toes you can do this by yourself.[​IMG]

<font color=blue>Professional <font color=red>JEEP EATER</font color=red> it's a population control thing.</font color=blue>

8. BlueKnight

BlueKnight 1/2 ton status

Yes take them aparts a unit. This is how the transmission shop i have seen do it. It is quite heavy this way but eaier to put back in as one piece. just like if your putting a engine and tranny in at the same time. bolt them all up together and slide it in.

</font color=blue>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://blueknight.alloffroad.com>http://blueknight.alloffroad.com</a>
    "If First you don't succeed, Destroy all attempts you've tried"

9. 87GMC

87GMC 1/2 ton status

If you don't mind cutting a small hole in the floor you can use an engine hoist to lower the trans. Just put the arm thruogh the passinger door-wrap a chain aroud the trans and t-case and lower it down. I have a 465 and have used the stock shifter hole, don't know if the t-case hole will line up close enough to balance an auto trans and t-case. I think this is safer than trying to balance them on a floor jack. Also works well if truck is to tall to use a floor jack

87 V1500 305 TBI 208/465 4" 35"procomp mt Dana 44/12 bolt

10. rockink5

rockink5 1/2 ton status

Drop it all in one piece. It actually ballances quite well on the jack. Remember to disconnect the kick down cable before trying to lower it.

IT'S MOSTLY MAUI WAUI.... BUT IT'S GOT SOME LABRADOR IN IT