Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

removing a/c

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by tmanofcali, Mar 26, 2002.

1. tmanofcali

tmanofcali 1/2 ton status

has anyone ever removed the a/c from thier first gen? what all is involved? do i have to change the heater core to a non a/c one or can i still use the a/c one? can anyone think of anything that im not thinking of? also when you remove the plastic box...is there just a big hole there that i will have to plug? thanks in advance for your replies.....tmanofcali

2. roostr3269

roostr3269 1/2 ton status

Haaaa.......Hey Tman, thats exactly what i am doing to the Jimmy at this very moment. I was going to try to go with a Non a/c air box on the firewall but u would have to do some fabbing to make it work. I sawzalled mine so its just covering the 2 holes closest to pass. side, and i will cover the last hole w/ sheetmetal. If i get it done today, i will set up some pics. hope this helps.

3. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Hey Todd!

Whatsup man...? I don't have anything to add, since I don't have A/C to begin with.....but I just wanted to say "HI" and see how your new business venture is coming along.... /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

4. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

I dont know if you have the under dash unit or in dash unit, but if you have the under dash ther will be two holes about 1 1/2 round to plug where it goes through the firewall. I dont know about the core. Mine was already out. ?I think it still has the same core. If you have a number on it I iwill look.

If you have the under dash do you want to get rid of it?

Nathan

5. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

I have the compressor off mine, and basically the heat works just the same without the A/C. No need to change anything else.

6. Steve_Chin

Steve_Chin 1/2 ton status

Definitely different heater cores. I have the A/C core sitting new in a box in my room and it looks different from the non-A/C core that's in my Blazer. I'm going to do the reverse conversion (and I was searching for a 4-speed Blazer without air... Something's wrong here! I already pulled the 4-speed and now I want to put in A/C!).

Anyhow, if you don't need the A/C control unit that's in the dash, I'd be interested in it. I also need the bracket that bolts to the water pump and supports the compressor and the tab that's mounted to the battery tray.

7. jeffer

jeffer 1/2 ton status

I have an under dash unit that I am going to be removing. As far as I know, the system is complete. I run without a top in the summer so don't need it and would like to clean up the cab/engine bay. As far as I know, it all works. I've never put a belt on it (had the truck a year and a half.) The system is still sealed, as I pushed the release valve and it's got freon. As soon as I get time it's all coming out and will need to go. Interested?

Jeff.

8. Dave_S

Dave_S Registered Member

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

Anyhow, if you don't need the A/C control unit that's in the dash, I'd be interested in it. I also need the bracket that bolts to the water pump and supports the compressor and the tab that's mounted to the battery tray.

<hr></blockquote>Steve... drop me an e-mail. I have a control head that's in excellent condition. Maybe we could work out some kind of trade?

Dave

9. 72THING

72THING 1/2 ton status

My truck had factory A/C, and it didn't have the compressor or anything when I got it. All the garbage on the pass. side firewall is still there and my heat still works fine. Although I wish I could either have A/C or get rid of all the A/C stuff since it doesn't work.

Will

10. tmanofcali

tmanofcali 1/2 ton status

72 thing, thats exactly what i want to do......its just a big ugly box taking up room. in the summer i run topless so it is useless. besides it will open up the engine bay alot and be cleaner looking.

thanks for all the replies guys!! pics would be cool.

greg, the business thing is going like old people screw........slow and jerky

later.......todd