Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Removing a gauge cluster with tilt steering......

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ak7, Sep 8, 2002.

1. ak7

ak7 Registered Member

Allright. I've got my 72 GMC Jimmy with tilt steering and a 71 Blazer for a parts truck. The Blazer does not have a tilt steering column and the gauge cluster comes out very easy. So I've got it all cleaned up and ready to put into my Jimmy and I can't get the Jimmy's cluster past the tilt column. Has anybody run into this before? What did you do to get the cluster out.

ak7

2. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

I've got tilt steering in my '71 Suburban and when I've swapped clusters, I've had to loosen the 2 bolts that hold the column up to the dash. Dropping the column about 1/4 to 1/2 should be plenty. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

3. ak7

ak7 Registered Member

Thanks for the info. I actually thought about doing that but I wasn't sure if it would allow the whole shaft to lower at all. I've never installed or removed or done anything with a steering column or shaft before. Thanks again I'll try that in a bit.

ak7

4. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

You usually have to drop the column a little to get the gauge cluster out even with a non-tilt column.

5. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

I'm painting the inside and was wondering the same, thanks guys