Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Removing a leaf from the spring pack?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Heavymetal, Jan 28, 2003.

1. Heavymetal

Heavymetal 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I have a set of 4 inch lift ProComps on the front of my burb, and they ride pretty harsh. I was thinking about removing one of the springs from the pack, probably the shortest one on the bottom, to lower the total spring rate and improve the ride and flexibility. Can anyone tell me why I should not do this?

Also I was thinking about putting teflon pads in there while I have it apart. Anyone know anything about adding teflon pads to a spring pack?

2. ZonkRat

ZonkRat 1/2 ton status

You'll lose at least 1 in,but,it should make it a little softer.Should flrx better too. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Removing the shortest leaf will have the least change on spring rate and ride height. If you remove a longer one it will get softer and lower.

I got my plastic spring buttons at a local spring shop for $0.50 each. Then went through 4 drill bits trying to drill the leaves! It cost me more $$$ in drill bits then for the buttons.

You might ask the shop where you get the buttons if they could punch the holes in the leaves for you. Drilling them is no fun!

4. Heavymetal

You think I will lose a whole inch of ride height? My shortest bottom leaf is only 12 inches long total. I would think that I would lose a 1/4 inch because of spring thinkness, but they are rated at 520 lbs. I wouldn't think that little leaf would cause it to sag that much. I am planning on installing new ORD extended shakles and greasable bolts at the same time, so that will give me an extra 1/4 inch of ride height right there. As long as removing it won't damage the other springs, I will give it a try. I can always put it back in. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

5. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

take the bottom one out and flip it over if its an overlaod

6. Butch

Butch 1/2 ton status

Taking it out will shorten the life of the springs, but it will make it ride much better. I took 2 leaves out of my front 6" pack when I first got them and it took 3 years of untold abuses to make them sag enough to replace. Felt like it was well worth it.

7. Heavymetal

I don't think that it is an overload, It looks like a regular spring.

8. Heavymetal

What type of springs did you take the 2 leaves out of? When you took them out did it loose some of its lift immedately? I only plan on taking out the little 12 inch leaf, I don't expect a huge difference, just a little. These ProComps are rated at 520 lbs. I believe, If I could get them down to say 450-480 that would be an inprovement. If it takes 3 years to cause them to sag, I'm cool with that. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

9. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

My guess is you would loose maybe a 1/2 inch or so, but that depends on many things. That's figuring on 1/4 thick leaf and angother 1/4 for settling. <shrug> Give it a try...