Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

removing a t-case...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jekbrown, Mar 30, 2006.

1. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

spent an 1.5 hours today trying to get my np205 detached from my 700R4... and the thing just won't budge. Here is what I did...

1) removed the driveshafts...

2) drained the t-case of oil.

3) loosened the outputs nuts to ease rebuilding later

4) removed the nuts that hold the tcase adapter to the studs that go in the trans

5) sprayed the living crap out of the area with liquid wrench to smooth the process

6) put my tranny jack under my 205

7) removed the x-member bolts/nuts.

At this point I figure, ok... no problem, just rock the thing back and forth and apply some pressure to the rear and it will slide off the trannys output shaft and I'm done. Good theory. I yanked, pushed, pulled, smacked etc the damn thing and it just refuses to come off. It has seperated about 0.25-0.375" from the trans... so I know I didn't miss a nut/bolt somewhere or something dumb like that...but it won't budge any further. Any tips?

I soaked it again with liquid wrench before I came inside... and I'm gonna let it soak in for a day before I give it another try. I'd appreciate any ideas from those who have yanked one. I need to get going on this because I'm selling my Raptor 700R4 and need to tcase out of the way so I can remove the trans. :)

j

2. koldsimer

koldsimer 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

The 205 is a heavy beast as you know. Try getting a buddy to push up and shake it around while you try pulling it back. If it's moved just a little bit, it's probably binding and just needs a good shake.

3. jekbrown

yeah, it is a heavy mofo. I've tried raising/lowering my transjack to different heights, and yankin on it from there, but it doesn't seem to help any. Guess I have to just keep trying. If the trans wasn't made of AL and I wasn't worried about cracking it, I'd go to work with a couple of crowbars. I gotta sell the trans though, so I can't abuse it much. lol!

j

4. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

Sounds like it might be binding on the coupler sleeve. Try removing the t-case from the adapter instead of the adapter from the trans.

When I seperated mine from an SM465, it literally fell apart once I got all the fasteners off.

5. jekbrown

could try taking the adapter bolts out I guess... I'd have to bolt the x-member back up and stuff, but thats do-able. I'll give it 30 mins as one unit tomorow... if it still won't come off, the adapter is goin' bye-bye...

j

6. sunnyc123abc

sunnyc123abc 1/2 ton status

What about the shifter linkage?

7. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

Good call! :waytogo:

That would definitely cause the problem described.

8. fasthumpman

fasthumpman Registered Member

are you supporting your transmission any!!?? the t case helps hold it up it could be binding making it alot more difficult. that was the case the first time i ever tried pullin mine from my tranny. good luck dont screw anything up!

9. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

Me and a friend ran across the same problem separating a 203 from a TH350. We got them about 1" apart and then it would not budge. I found a 10 foot piece of pipe laying around and stuck one end between the case and the tranny. It worked like a huge pry bar, the two came apart with a huge THUD when the 203 landed on the ground.

10. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

If you're just trying to get the trans out, the factory/dealer mech. method is to pull trans/T-case together and then separate them (on the ground). That method was incorporated as part of the design constraints.
    Edit:4/1;so you'll need a trans jack and a floor jack.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2006
  11. tuffdogstudio

tuffdogstudio 1/2 ton status

Dunno if the 205 is at all like my 208, but it had a large bar on the passenger side that ran up towards the engine area that had to be unbolted before it would come out.

12. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

I would think that the studs going through the adapter and into the tranny are probably giving you hell. If you have bolts at the other end of the adapter, I would try removing the transfer case from the adapter, rather than removing the adapter from the tranny. Sometimes it's harder to slide something off a bunch of studs as opposed to just taking bolts out and yanking it right off.

13. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

Yeah, that's what I suggested back on post #4.

14. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

Not exactly...

You said coupler sleeve, I say studs. Either way, removing the transfer case from the adapter sounds like the way to go.

15. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

Different cause, same effect, same suggested remedy.

16. jekbrown

roger wilco... adapter comes off tomorow morning. :) The only reason I was trying to take both off at once is it made it more stable on my tranny jack. I guess I'll just have to rig it up differently and keep a safe distance when the last bolt comes out. It ain't like falling 2' onto gravel/dirt is gonna hurt a 205 anyway. :grin: :thumb:

j

17. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

You did pull the shifter, right?

18. jekbrown

19. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

Ok, just checking.
    You didn't say and I know it's something that I would forget. :wink1:

20. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

I had a nice surprise from the speedo cable once. Got the TC disconnected, lowered it a bit, and started rolling it out when that thing yanked tight and nearly tossed the case onto my head! :doah: Don't ever do that...:eek1: