Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Removing ABS from 90 K5

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Hardcore, Dec 29, 2003.

1. Hardcore

Hardcore 1/2 ton status

Going to be putting on my 1 ton axles soon. Still doing some prep work. Since my 14 bolt will have disks the rear ABS will be useless. I'm looking at putting in a larger master cylinder with a maunal proportioning valve. I want to have a very simple brake system for it. I need to remove the ABS but don't want anything going haywire and don't want the ABS/Brake light flashing. Anyone know how to bypass the ABS. /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

2. frankin5

frankin5 Super Mall Crawler Premium Member

anti-lock is controled by vss sigal from the drac via the transfer case. the rear end has nothing to do with it. also gets signal from transfer case when in 4wheel.

3. BigBurban350

BigBurban350 1/2 ton status

The brake light on your dash has two brightnesses. Dimmest for the parking brake (which will be gone when you put in your axles), then the brightest for ABS malfunction. My suggestion is to disable the brake light /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. Hardcore

Hardcore 1/2 ton status

Will the ABS still function then even with rear disks on my 14 bolt or will it freak out and trip the warning light.

5. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

I want to know the same thing for my 91 3/4 ton. I wanna switch to hydroboost cause these ABS suck! Can it be done? What all is involved? Thx

6. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

My abs on the 90 still works even with the 14ff and drum brakes. No problem with the e brake light either. One thing I did notice is the rears grab extremely hard when in 4wd and from what I know the abs is supposed to be off when in 4wd.