Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Removing ABS on a NBS rig?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sled_dog, Jun 9, 2006.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I want to remove the ABS on my 97 C2500. Figure its the easiest and cheapest of the mods I need to make for SAS so I might as well make it now. My question is, are the proportioning and metering valve in the ABS motor? I'm figuring on just removing the pump, making lines and coupling to the stock hard lines where they would have coupled with the ABS motor, and for the rear throwing a proportioning valve in line for the future upgrade to rear discs when she gets a 14FF or D60 under the rear. I realize that until I retune the ECM the ABS light will be on of course but that will be reworked when the time comes for engine mods.

2. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

the proportion valve is bolted to the abs unit. best to just tee the front off the master and install the adjustable in the rear and blead it and be done.

3. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

Pull the abs bulb in the cluster.

ECM will probably set a no communication from ABS code, but may or may not trip light (my guess is not).

4. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

just pull the plug from the abs unit, it wont throw a light and it will still work fine. Thats what i did with my 93.

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I'd much much rather simplify my underhood setup. ANd mines a 97. Things change, the ABS light would be on for certain and maybe check engine as well. Like I was saying, I'm going to get the TunerCat setup for it so I can disable downstream O2 sensors, change fuel trims, and just all around tune the thing. Plan to fully deconstruct the wiring harness enough to remove the ABS stuff.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2006
  6. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

that doesnt work so well- I have my "brake" indicator light come on after a few minutes above 30 mph or so. So what is that?

7. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

it doesn't sense wheel speed sensors most likely because you took the major component of the ABS system out of the loop. Not sure if they go to the ECM or a seperate module for the ABS.

8. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

Wheel speed sensors only go to abs module. One in each front wheel. Uses vehicle speed (driveshaft speed) to pick up rear wheel speed on most GM's. Which, it gets that signal from the ECM/PCM. Some 4WAL (not trucks) have individual wheel speed sensors on the rear.