Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

removing AC junk from under da hood...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jekbrown, Sep 15, 2004.

1. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

trying to get things ready to remove (finally) my inner fenders on my 85. I dont have working AC and I wanna remove any AC crap from my engine compartment. I assume thats what the big ugly thing in the left side of this pic is...

linky 2 pic

...only thing is, I don't wanna lose factory heat. What can I yank and what can't I? I wanna clear up some space back there to mount stuff normally attached to the inner fenders, like catch cans and such.

I know people have yanked that junk out... but is any of it factory-heater stuff?

Assuming I can remove that stuff... how do you remove it? Seems like it has a lotta crusty seam sealer stuff everywhere... what hardware actually attaches it to the firewall?

j

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

The blower motor for both the heat and the AC is in that box. the blower motor is on the very far left of the box (the little round thing)

You can cut the blower motor off the AC box and fab up an air passage tunnel to run the air threw the heater core to have the heat still but loose the bulk of the box.

Harley

3. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

Yeh that big block box is held to the firewall by a buncha bolts and one stud on the firewall. It is all AC stuff, the heat is under the dash. When you remove the box there will be a hole about 6"x8" that you will have to patch.

4. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

start rippin and tearin., you'll figure it out. get a heater setup from another truck, and bolt it in.

you'll need to cut one hole, and make a blockoff plate for another. other than that, plug and play.

5. jekbrown

aight guys... tommorow I'll tear into her. I'll snap lots of pics so people who follow in my footsteps have something to follow. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

j

6. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

lots of pics dood` /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

7. JIM88K5

JIM88K5 1/2 ton status

I need a condenser. Is yours in good shape ?

8. jekbrown

[ QUOTE ]
    I need a condenser. Is yours in good shape ?

[/ QUOTE ]

if you mean that radiator looking thing I canned it a couple of years ago when I tossed my dead compressor. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif sorry man!

j

9. COCHEV

COCHEV 1/2 ton status

you can find all the components from a non a/c cab and swap em over for a more factory look. i think rene (tRusty) did this, might ask him about it. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. jekbrown

good idea... I dont wanna be to ghetto-fab-ulous about this now do I? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

j

11. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

i cut mine down and reshaped mine with some thin plywood and fiberglass and resin.

12. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Get junk out of a non-ac truck, and then just fab up the small flat plate to cover the hole. Pretty easy to do, just takes a little time.

13. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

I JUST DID THIS TOO MY SUB AS I WANTED THE SPACE and i sold the rear air to a member, the box will come out no problem, you can see most of the bolts, then a studd inside the cab, but the tricky one is the bolt right under the blower moter, its hard to get at.

and as for heat i was luckenuff to go and find that my bud just goot this junker 2wd pu with a perfect box inside and out, so i am going to cut the firewall out where the box is and use it to cover the hole from the ac.

in a ac truck the core gose in on the left and the hole fir the air is to the far right, in a non ac truck it is flipped, lotsa o;d no ac trucks out there get the whole thing and swap it easyer, and if you get the old controls too looks beter.
    /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

14. jekbrown

finally started working on this again this morning. Question, what do I do with the heater hoses that go to the radiator etc? At some point Im gonna put a mojave style heater in there, but in the mean time I dont want any fluids flying out...

j

15. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

Yeah, I'd love to see that. I've got whatever is left over from when the PO tore out the AC. It's a pretty sad system, I'd love to at least have a defroster. As it is, whenever it's cool out and the trucks running, you can literally see steam rising up out of the ducts and sticking straight to the windshield. Really sucks.

16. rcurrier44

rcurrier44 1/2 ton status

Hum all of my heater hoses go to the engine...not the radiator. But I don't think it matters. I just loop one to the other and bypass the heatercore if I have to run the engine without the heater hooked up.

17. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

I broke up the AC stuff bad when I was trying to change the heater core. :blush:

Ended up stealing the entire non-AC setup from my other truck...

This is what it looks like now:
    [​IMG]

And a pic of the new hole you need to cut, and the piece I cut out:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]