Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

removing ac

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by therover87, Mar 25, 2002.

1. therover87

therover87 1/2 ton status

i have an 87 350 tbi and i want to remove my ac, and was wondering exactly how i go about doing this and if someone has done this before offer some hints or pointers, thanks.

2. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

Legally you need to have the system purged into a container. Other than that if your not going to reinstall it rip it out!!!! If your going to sell it or re use it seal any openings on the compressor and condensors/evaporators.

3. 87GMC

87GMC 1/2 ton status

To get the system drained you could go anywhere that recharges AC. They shouldn't charge you to drain it because lots of R12 machines recycle it and they can reuse it. Then just pull off the parts. BTW I could use a good condenser if you don't need it.

4. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

If you pull off everything, including the evaporator etc. you will have a large hole in the firewall. This will also remove the heater. You can swap to a non-A/C heater unit that is a much smaller unit. It cleans up the firewall a lot, but it takes a little work. Email me if you decide to do the swap and I can give ya more pointers. Here is a shot of a heater only firewall.
    http://www.jmartin.net/goose/Heater.jpg

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Heres a halfway decent picture of what an AC to non AC conversion looks like http://yeagerd.home.mindspring.com/TablePics/heavydutyheater.jpg

The black plate on the right is what I had to add to cover the existing hole, and what you can't see, is that you have to slot it so the heater core fittings can protrude. I don't believe I cut any additional holes, I just used the ones that held the AC assembly on previously to hold the new plate in place, along with all the silicone.