Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Removing black GM glue

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 45acp, Feb 14, 2001.

1. 45acp

45acp 1/2 ton status

I have removed the fuel tank for several other modifications and would like to get rid of the black tar/glue that GM put on the tank. The same stuff is under the carpet inside. How have others gone about removing this stuff? Thanks, Bill

2. BOWTIE

BOWTIE 1/2 ton status

There's gotta be a better way of doing this, but what I did to remove the glue under the carpet was I got a scraper with a new blade and sraped it off. It took a while but it worked. You might want to try a wire brush that you can attach to a drill. I thought of that one after I was done........Smart huh.

MY K-5 DOESN'T LEAK... IT JUST MARKS ITS TERRITORY.

3. cp87jimmy

cp87jimmy Registered Member

I also used a blade scraper when I redid my interior. Be prepared to scrape a few of your knuckles.
    Late, Chris

GO STARS !!!!
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.cp87jimmy.ck5.com>http://www.cp87jimmy.ck5.com</A>

4. KrebsATM02

KrebsATM02 1/2 ton status

I used a wire wheel on a grinder. Works pretty well but is time consuming. I would scrape up as much as possible and then do that. Body filler smells great when you hit it with a wire wheel!!!!!! - Doug

Doug Krebs

5. Logan

Logan Registered Member

I don't know how much of the stuff is on there, but I had pretty good luck using carpet gum remover (Sprays on, freezes the gum/tar, and it just chips right off!) when I was yanking up the nasty water-trapping vinyl flooring on my old Toyota Pickup. I can't remember the brand name of the stuff, but it was basically a compressed gas of some kind in a spray paint type of can.

-Al.