Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

removing body need help !! ASAP

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by surg82k5, May 17, 2001.

1. surg82k5

surg82k5 1/2 ton status

I am in the process of rebuilding my blazer from the ground up. I am trying to take off the body and am running into a little bit of difficulties. The bolts that go through the body mounts seem to be just turning and not coming off. They do not have a back up. I have checked by removing the carpet, and am down to bare metal. I got the front body mounts off and the far back ones but the ones in the middle are giving me trouble. I have an 82 chevy blazer. If you guys have any suggestions that would be great?? what kinda grease is it that I need to use on POLY stuff, like steves ORD front shackles ect...?? and where could i get it. thanks
    sergio

2. 78Blazer

78Blazer 1/2 ton status

Get the old torches out and cut them off..

Scott
    78blazer

3. surg82k5

surg82k5 1/2 ton status

would i have to go to the dealer to buy new bolts or just the same kind i can get at a regular hardware store?? But how do they work if that have no place to back them up on the other side. thanks
    sergio

4. Espen88k5

Espen88k5 1/2 ton status

GM welded the nut inside the crossmember without any rust protection and over the years they come loose.

I'd get out the grinder an make a wide enough slit in the cross-member as close to the bolt entrace as posible. Then get a good work-light and try to either cut the bolt off and slipp the nut with boltpiece out the slit. Or get a hold on the nut with something and bang upp your nuckles slipping and cussing till it comes out. When your ready to put it back inn you put a clean new bolt and nut inn. Leaving the slit open so you can get a wrench upp there to hold on to the nut. After that you weld it shutt and call it a day!

[​IMG] <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.espen88k5.coloradok5.com>http://www.espen88k5.coloradok5.com</A>

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

If you can, try putting a lot of sideways pressure on teh bolt as you unscrew it. Its very hard to get it to work, but sometimes you can get the spinning nut to grab onto the body when it is angled. Long shot, but worth a try. As well, I was tring to pull parts off one of my Firebirds I was going to scrap, and had the same problem. I cut a hole in the floor from the top to get at the nut.

Dorian
    My tech/links page: <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</A>
    No anti-theft measures on your truck? No pity when its stolen

6. Brian 89KBlazer

Brian 89KBlazer 1/2 ton status

Espen nailed it! Two of mine cracked off (rusted) & the other two, I cut a hole in the floor above the cross-member & got at the nut that way! It's not really a nut but a rectangular piece of thick steel that's threaded & like Espen said, not welded very well in the cross-member![​IMG]

Since my floors are rusty & I'm replacing them, I just tore the floor open to get at the nut. If your's is not, then make a couple neat cuts & peel the floor metal back until you can access the nut. Then roll the floor metal back & weld it up when finished.

Good Luck

Brian
    89KBlazer