Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Removing bolts on body

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by surg82k5, May 25, 2001.

1. surg82k5

surg82k5 1/2 ton status

I have posted a similar post earlier but am looking for more suggestions. I am wondering what is the best way to remove the rear carriage bolts on my 82 blazer. they seem to be welded down from the factory. and what is the best way to get the bolts for the body mounts(right in fron of and behind the front seats) out of the sealed off body crossmember. I am hoping not to have to cut or drill in the body but i might have to. thanks for the help, i will try to get pics up pretty soon. thanks
    sergio

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

If I remember right from doing my truck, no body bolts whatsoever were "concealed". As to the carriage bolts, they are tacked to the body on the bed side. Pull whatever in the bed out of the way and you will see the heads of them, and where they are welded to the floor. if you don't have to, don't remove these, as the factory welded them to the bed apparently to keep them from twisting when you tightened them, and ruining the bed/making it impossible to tighten the nuts up.

Dorian
    My tech/links page: <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</A>
    No anti-theft measures on your truck? No pity when its stolen

3. surg82k5

surg82k5 1/2 ton status

The bolts that are concealed are the ones that bolt down to the frame in front of the front seats and right behind the front seats. It seems that they are closed in by like a cross member frame on the body. I don't think these bolts are the carriage bolts that hold on the back of the body, i can see those because i have no carpet in. I will probably just chisel those off and tack on some new ones. I am still not sure what to do?? thanks for the help.
    sergio

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Dude, there are no concealed body bolts. Crawl under your truck and look up...yup there they are, bolted to the boxed parts from underneath.[​IMG] Under the drivers seat and by the footwell area the mounts are outboard of yer frame.

As for the rear body bolts in the bed, I ground the bolts flush and drove them down through the body mount...[​IMG] I think they were tacked for assembly ease on 'the line'.

Are you doing a body lift or just replacing worn mounts?

Rene

<font color=red>If at first you don't succeed...skydiving ain't for you!</font color=red>

5. surg82k5

surg82k5 1/2 ton status

Ok I think i worded that wrong. the bolts themselves are not concealed but when i was taking the bolts off so i could swap frames the backing on the bolts would just spin. so you are right it is not really the bolts but the backing that they screw into. I am thinking i might have to drill and tack the backing down again. I am having to swap my frame because of a wreck i was in. I will probably just chisel out or grind out the back carriage bolts and then tack in new ones. but the middle four are givving me problems. the backing in inside that i beam or crossmember on the body itself. thank. any responses would be really really appreciated, being that right now my blazer is in two pieces.

sergio

6. tRustyK5

Sounds like you have a rust problem...you'll prolly have to peel a section of floor above where the mount is and take care of the problem from above. I would drill a tiny hole from underneath beside the boxed section. Then when you look inside you'll have a handy reference point to measure from. Once you've repaired the spinning nut or plate reweld the part of the floor you had to peel for access.

Sounds like too much fun...good luck

Rene

<font color=red>If at first you don't succeed...skydiving ain't for you!</font color=red>

7. surg82k5

surg82k5 1/2 ton status

top any other opinions??

8. surg82k5

surg82k5 1/2 ton status

Rene thanks for the suggestions. Might i ask what do you think about cutting through the floor board so i dont weaken the i beam on the body and tacking those backing plates back on. Or possibly just cutting with a hole saw and then holding the backing plates enough to tighten everything down(new bolts). do you think it would be better to tac everything down no matter what or would it be ok just tightening everything down and using lock tite. thanks I got to say I was really trying to get to Rocko's house when you were down here in austin but this is what i was busy doing. sorry man maybe someday i can make it up there. thanks for your help
    sergio

9. bandit

bandit 1/2 ton status

just had the same problem right under the driver side i had to tuse a sawsal to cut my off still havent fixed it yet i wasgoing to cut right on the side of the cross bar remove the broken nut and weld a neew one in and then weld the cross bar back together

AJ
    Soon to wheelin spot near you
    Project Harvey[​IMG]

10. tRustyK5

I think bandit might be on to the solution...use a hole saw on the side of the support right where the nut or plate should be.
    The only part that might be tough is seeing exactly whats going on in there.

It sounds like it'll be a frustrating repair no matter which way you do it.

Sorry I didn't get to meet you too! If I wasn't such a dumb-ass with my trip estimate I would have had more time to meet people. Well I guess I would have got some sleep too [​IMG], but meeting fellow CK5er's ranked up there for me!

Rene

11. surg82k5

surg82k5 1/2 ton status

well i got it done, the bolts are out. Thanks rene and dyeager535. you guys helped out a bunch. What i ended up doing was cutting through the floor board on top of where the bolt was. i did not have to cut into the i beam at all. So hopefully everything there is as strong as it was before. I took a pic of the holes and where the bolts are, so maybe sometime soon i can get some pics up. once again thanks for the help.
    sergio

12. rocko

rocko 1/2 ton status

Cool Sergio... Hope all is going well with your repairs.. make sure to take many pics.. [​IMG].
    Trusty... you still tired from the journey?

Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it. <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.rocko.coloradok5.com>http://www.rocko.coloradok5.com</A>

13. tRustyK5

Hey Rocko...my sleep deficit has been a lot easier to take care of than the financial one [​IMG][​IMG] I don't care though, 'IT' is home and the trip is behind me now...

Rene

14. rocko

rocko 1/2 ton status

Just hope you dont' regret making such a journey... I'm sure glad she's in your hands now.. So that made the deal for ma alot easier...
    Can't wait to see the final result...

Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it. <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.rocko.coloradok5.com>http://www.rocko.coloradok5.com</A>

15. tRustyK5

What could I possibly regret? The 82 is a perfect foundation for me, I got to see 7 more states that I've never seen, I got to meet a bunch of really great people from this site, hell it was an adventure! [​IMG] Regret? Hell no![​IMG] I just need to recover from missed time at work and the extra money I spent getting home...[​IMG] Its all good though, and in a couple of months I'll forget how poor I was today...

Rene

16. rocko

rocko 1/2 ton status

I hear ya.. it was awesome to have met you.. hell.. you're a legend on this board now.. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    Glad Stampy is in good hands now.. and I look forward to one day taking the journey up to Canada...
    And ordering the bumpers from you... I'll send you the details once I start working again.. lol..
    Talk to you later bud...