Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Removing brake rotors on a '97 'burb

Discussion in '1992-Present Chevy & GMC models' started by heavy4x4, Nov 6, 2002.

1. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Removing brake rotors on a \'97 \'burb

Hey all,
    My dad has a '97 sub, and his rotors need replacing/resurfacing. My question is: What is involved in removing the rotors. Step-by-step would be nice if you have done it. Are any special tools needed (like a spanner nut socket for straight axles)? Sorry if this sounds like a dumb question, but I'm not familiar with the i.f.s. setup. I couldn't even tell you how to take apart the hubs. (Why must it be so different than straight axles /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif) Thanks in advance.
    Also, he constantly has to have these things resurfaced - which is why he's going to attempt it himself this time. Are there any rotors out there that are more durable which prevent excessive wear/warping (he's getting bad wobble when braking)? The truck doesn't do any towing, nor does it see long periods of braking - like decending hills.
    By the way, I did a search and all I could come up with about the wobble issue was inconsistant torque on lug nuts. Found no information on removal process. Any help is appreciated.

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Re: Removing brake rotors on a \'97 \'burb

I'm pretty sure that all you have to do is remove the caliper and then the rotor will slide right off. It just slips over the wheel studs on IFS trucks. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

3. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Are you serious????!!!!! Good lord that is easy. I wish I would have at least taken a tire off and looked at this.
    Can anybody else confirm this for sure?
    Thanks for the quick response.

4. chevelless502

chevelless502 Registered Member

Yes, thats all there is to it. Its bordering on a no brainer. You will need a big "Torx" bit to remove the caliper, sorry I cant remember the size. Once you have it off, the rotor should come right off. Sometimes they get alittle rust built up around them and they need a "VERY LIGHT TAP" from a hammer but this is rare. Be sure when you put the wheel back on to use a torque wrench so you dont over tighten the lug nuts and warp the rotor again. If you have any questions feel free to email me. I was a service manager for 4 years and saw alot of them.
    Andy

5. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Thanks a bunch guys.

6. Joey D

Joey D Registered Member

On my truck I have to remove the caliper, the axle nut, and the 4 bolts on the back side of the spindle to
    remove the hub and rotor as 1 peice. Then press out the wheel studs to separate the rotor from the
    bearing.
    I thought that all 4x4's were the same.

7. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Thanks for your response.
    Does anybody know if this is true for my dad's 1/2 ton 4x4 ifs suburban?
    Now I've got two completely different answers. Which one do I believe/go with?

8. chevelless502

chevelless502 Registered Member

Joey,

The 3/4 ton and 1 ton models were like that where they had to be removed by taking out the 4 bolts on the back sides but the half tons were just what they call knock off rotors.
    Andy

9. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

YESSS!!! Good timing. You just saved me a lot of worry. Thanks.