Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

removing cab

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 86chevybanshee, Aug 5, 2004.

1. 86chevybanshee

86chevybanshee 1/2 ton status

what is the best way to remove a pickup cab, i dont have a garage or anything like that.

2. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I have a garage,but its not big enough to take a truck cab off in,so all the cab swaps I've done had to be done outdoors anyway--you can see better outside,and you need lots of room for the assorted timbers and the hoist,so dont despair about no garage. I have a A-frame thing that used to be a swingset at a public playground,its made of schedule 40 2-1/2 inch water pipe,I've picked up many cabs,engines,tranny and tranfer cases with it,even one end of my truck when I swapped rear ends,with a 2 ton chain falls on it there isnt much you cant lift,and its very stable and safe--I helped a guy do a cab swap with only an engine crane,it was not much fun,in fact we almost dropped the whole shebang,and ended up using a pair of floor jacks and 4x4 timbers to jack each side up little at a time,until we had it high enough to clear everything,then we rolled the chassis out from under it.The A frame is much easier and safer.I've seen the "shadetree mechanic" approach using a large tree branch and a come-along or chain falls,but make sure its an oak tree with no rot,and the branch is at least 6-8 inches thick--and dont trust it completely--cabs are pretty heavy,even stripped they weigh about 400-500 lbs. /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

3. 86chevybanshee

86chevybanshee 1/2 ton status

i have an a frame thing i have that i used to pull my engine, but its onl on 8'x 2 1/2 in pipe holding it up, my trucks got 8 inches of lift and even with my little tires, i think there like 31s it wont clear it, even if i put it on the rotors and drums it still wont clear

4. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

[​IMG]

/forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

any body starting to realize I seem to do stuff differently /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif