Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Removing cat from exhaust...Good idea?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 | Suburban | Truck' started by GaBnn3, Nov 22, 2009.

1. GaBnn3

GaBnn3 Registered Member

I live in Mass, where my '88 Suburban no longer has to pass emissions. I need to replace the exhaust and wondered if leaving the cat off with affect it either positively or negatively. Any thoughts from the experts? Thanks.

2. BlazerFarm

BlazerFarm Texagonian

I'm pretty sure removing it is against Federal and State law.

From your own state:

http://www.mass.gov/legis/laws/mgl/111-142m.htm

I'm not sure if a muffler shop will even give you an option of not putting a cat back on.

3. Randy92782

Randy92782 1 ton status

A real inspection station will not pass it. I believe it has to be a 80 or older to not run one

Unless of course you know a guy

4. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

to be safe i would ditch that old prob worn out cat.

then get a nice highflow new name brand replacemnet and instal it.

5. Jessie James

Jessie James 1/2 ton status

My Blazer came with no cat (PO removed it) and it made it almost unbearable to drive with the windows down.

A new cat is only $112 at Advance Auto. You can get a high-flow one for like $175. Why bother taking it off. I just put the new on one my truck and now I can drive with all the windows down and even the tailgate. SO NICE. :bow:

6. rufusbooth

rufusbooth 1/2 ton status

Technically it is illegal to remove it based on federal law. Having said that removing it wont hurt anything except your nose. I like driving with the tailgate window open on my truck and you just cant do that without a cat.

I have a 73 jimmy that never had one from the factory and I put on a pair of them. Although, with the new cat laws in the peoples republic of Kalifornia I think it is illegal for me to add them to my truck. According to the letter of the law there is no application specific cat since my truck never had them. I dont care, It is so much nicer to drive the truck with the cats.

Cheers,

Rufus

7. dhcomp

dhcomp 3/4 ton status Premium Member

A good high flow cat does not restrict exhaust flow. I'd keep one on there. Really, no reason to harm the environment unnecessarily, and risk getting caught breaking a federal law.

8. 496truck

496truck 1/2 ton status

Your truck no longer has to pass a "sniffer test" BUT the inspector is still required to do a visual inspection for safety and emissions. The inspector should be looking under the hood and under the car/truck for the original emissions equipment is not only there but hooked up. Unless you are taking it to one of those stations that check the lights, horn, tires and done, no cat=fail. Besides, as stated above, an aftermarket cat will flow significantly higher than the stock pancake and at that rate will not reduce your engines output and may actually increase it's torque vs. having no cat.

9. GaBnn3

GaBnn3 Registered Member

Thanks all for your responses. I ordered the high-flow cat and cat back exhaust from J.C. Whitney. Now to get it on the road before the snow flies.

10. 80' 427

80' 427 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Mine came factory without one.