Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

removing diff???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Bhintz, Mar 5, 2005.

1. Bhintz

Bhintz 1/2 ton status

Im in the middle of installing my lockrite in my D60 but I pushed the cross pin to far so now I think I need to remove the carrier b/c I cant get the cross pin back in from the pinion side, so if I pull the diff , can i just unscrew the cap and remove the diff and cross pin put the lockrite in then put the diff back in place or is there shims and stuff that need to be put in right b/c I really have know skill in that ?????

2. JIMs70K25

JIMs70K25 1/2 ton status

I have a service manual for the power lock for the dana60 and they show a "case spreader" to remove the carrier/ring gear. How much was the lockrite and where did you get it?

3. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

if the pin is still in carries you just need to wiggle the lock rite and it should go in. and the dana axles are tight fit on carrier to case. most use a BIG pry bar and or case spreeder.

4. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

Wait, you cant just spin the carrier around and push the pin back in? You should be able to do that, you dont have to take the whole carrier out. If you want to, then get 2 big prybars both on the top and bottom of the ring gear bolts, or one on the bottom on the bolt side and the top of the gear side. Remember to put the caps back in the same spot.