Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

removing door glass?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by baldbandit, May 18, 2001.

1. baldbandit

baldbandit 1/2 ton status

I'm fixing to repaint my truck and I am changing doors. These doors are a differnt color and i would like to pull the glass to do a better job. I know that in order to pull the vent window you have to 1st pull the main window and then unscrew the phillips screw on top of the door and the bolt behind the door panel. My question is how do i pull the main window out? These windows are electric if that makes a difference.

thanks
    baldbandit

"Have you outdriven a F**D lately?"

Check out my site!
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.baldbandit.coloradok5.com>http://www.baldbandit.coloradok5.com</A>

2. Flyinhi86

Flyinhi86 Registered Member

I just put my vent windows back in. I don't have electric. I didn't have to remove or mess around with the main window at all. You first remove the 3 phillips, then there should be a bolt in the lower front area of door. This bolt holds the bottom of the channel. Open the vent window and grab the channel then pull back. You may want to remove the horizontal weatherstripping to make it easier. Pull out the whole unit, It will catch near the end, just turn 90 degrees and your done. You may have to mess around for a minute, but that is as hard as it gets. You may want to consider new weatherstripping while you are at it. I replaced all mine. Any other questions get back to me. Oh ya you need to have window all the way down of course. Having this window out first will probably make it much easier to pull the main. Let me know how it goes. Good luck Jason.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by Flyinhi86 on 05/19/01 04:30 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

3. Redfrog

Redfrog 1/2 ton status

how do you replace the vertical peice of the vent window
    seal

HEY Fords!!! how many flushes does it
    take to get rid of you

4. baldbandit

baldbandit 1/2 ton status

Thanks, I finally got the glass out. It was a pain though. I don't event want to think about how hard it will be to go back in. What do you all recommend using to greas the motor and tracks? Lithium grease?

baldbandit

"Have you outdriven a F**D lately?"

Check out my site!
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.baldbandit.coloradok5.com>http://www.baldbandit.coloradok5.com</A>

5. backlash

backlash 1/2 ton status

Redfrog,

You talking about the seal (weatherstrip) around the large window? Piece of cake ... take off door panel &gt; lower window &gt; grab hold of strip &gt; pull it out &gt; Insert new strip at back edge down low and work your way around. Make sure it is low enough so the top back corner fits ... a little grunting and cursing and it's in like a breeze.

6. Flyinhi86

Flyinhi86 Registered Member

When ready to put window back in, place weatherstripping in the vertical channel. Make sure it sit right in the top because it has to fit good in that corner when its all in place. then put the window back in while resting the rest of stripping over the door. Once window in push rest of stripping along the window jamb. You will probably have to take the bolt which hold the bottom rear vertical channel in place. Any more questions feel free to ask.