Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Removing doors but keeping mirrors

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Eric W, Feb 25, 2005.

1. Eric W

Eric W Registered Member

...I noticed K5's have their mirrors on the doors. One of my plans for a mud cruiser is that it remain street legal. I found out that if I lost the doors like the jeeps do, as long as I keep the mirrors on the truck it is streetable that way. I guess sort of like the UPS drivers who drive with the doors open. Since K5's have the mirrors on the doors, has anybody relocated them to a non-door part of the body? If so, did you reuse the old ones or what?

2. la_blazer82

la_blazer82 1/2 ton status

I had the drivers side, side-swiped last year, and had to remove the door. To keep it street legal in SoCal during the summer, I bought a new mirror (the old one got trashed in the side-swipe), and mounted onto the front fender (it got hit pretty bad also, so I didn't mind making holes for the 3 mounting bolts. I ended up taking off the passenger door as well, and had no problems. I got an aweful lot of looks, especially from CHP, but no tickets.

I finally got another door and re-used the mirror I bought.

3. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I just attached a cheapo parts store one to my tube door and left my stock ones on my doors. Works for me. Can't see much in it, but it keeps me legal. lol! :grin:

j

4. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

you guys sure have some really lax laws !

share ?

:D

5. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

elcheepo walmart mirrors screwed into truck

[​IMG][​IMG]

6. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

el cheep? hell, those things are practically bling compared to the lame little ones i have. lol! might have to upgrade...

[​IMG]

and yes, that mirror is held on with a bungie cord. tree branch vs plastic mirror bases... wonder who won that one. lol! :grin:
    j