Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Removing doors with power accessories?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Lance, Jun 13, 2003.

1. Lance

Lance 1/2 ton status

I've searched on here for removing the doors and found lots of useful information for those units without power accessories. Can't find any info on how to do it if you have power window or door locks. I know someone here has to have encountered this. Please point me in the right direction. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

Thanks,

Lance

2. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

You can try unplugging the harness where it connects to the main harness, down near the kick panels, but the only thing limiting you from pulling the harness out with the doors is that damned rubber grommet, you may be able to cut this out though, good luck and I hope that made sense! /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

3. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

its no biggie, all the power stuff in doors have wiring that have easy-to-disconnect connectors. If you take your door panels off and look around inside the door you'll find the window/lock wiring, just unplug em and you're on ur way.

j

4. Rolled

Rolled 1/2 ton status

Just unplug the wire harness on both sides just above the kick panel. You may have to remove the kick panel to see them. Then drill out the rivots hoilding the rubber boot to the truck. Then carefuly pull them out. Yu may have to unbolt the door hinges to drill the rivots.

Good luck

5. BOWTIE

BOWTIE 1/2 ton status

you can do what was mentioned above or just cut the wires and add these connectors.
    [​IMG]

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

No offense, but I'd never use those in a hinge situation.

If I were going to do anything like cutting the wires, I'd go find those sweet setups from the new vehicles. No wires, just metal contacts kind of like the door jamb switches on our trucks.

7. BOWTIE

BOWTIE 1/2 ton status

no offence taken.. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif there's prolly alot of things on my rig that others wouldn't do, so i'm use to it. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

8. Lance

Lance 1/2 ton status

Thanks to everyone for their input. Most everyone hit on the problem I was having, you can disconnect them on the truck side or the door side, but you still have the issue with the grommets and the wires that run through it.

dyeager, got any idea on where to pick up those contacts or a place to start my search? This sounds like the ticket to keep the door removal / replacement time to a minimum.

Thanks again everyone!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Lance

9. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Minivans started getting them pretty early on the sliding side doors.

Friend has an '86(pretty sure thats right) Astro that has them on the sliding door. For other setups (more or less contacts) I'd look at all newer (say late late 90's) vehicles though, I have a feeling most every maker has gone (or will) to that style.

But vans are the obvious first step, since the side doors slide and that makes wiring difficult.

10. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

You can get the Wireless kit from LMC Truck and you may be able to get it from Summit but I'm not sure... /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

11. Lance

Lance 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the tip!
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    Lance