Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Removing Doors

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by clubba68, Jan 12, 2004.

1. clubba68

clubba68 1/2 ton status

I have looked at them a couple of times. I was just wondering what is involved in removing the doors from our K5's (I live/go to school 100miles away from mine, so I can't just go look at it). I would like to take mine off for the summer time, but it looks somewhat complicated. I think mine have been tampered with because there is some poor welding action around at least one of the brackets. Thanks.

2. bigmike72

bigmike72 Registered Member

I've never done this but it should be fairly easy, just open the door and take out the bolts that hold the door hinges onto the body.

Unlike a jeep's doors, our doors are pretty heavy and bulky so I'd make sure you mark the hinge mounts before taking the door off so you can get it lined up again when you put them back on. Personally, I'd never take the doors off. After removing my hardtop, I had enough problems with door alignment that I don't want to hassle with it again.

3. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

i took the doors off my 72 parts truck, just like he said open the door and unbolt the hinges fron the wall. easier than fromn the door. and they are heavy!!!!! just like he said.

4. clubba68

clubba68 1/2 ton status

Kind of thought this was what you guys were going to say. Unfortunately, mine has some tack welding around the brackets that I am not to eager to mess with. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif
    Oh well. Wish it was as easy as my buddy's jeep that takes him all of 5mins to remove both doors. They are light as feathers too.

5. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

make sure thats not body glue or silicone

6. clubba68

clubba68 1/2 ton status

Pretty positive that it is not, but I will check the next time I go to Portland.

7. sapper

sapper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Im almost willing to bet that your doors have a slight sag to them, the reason they have welds around the hinges is the same reason i had to weld and old door, the sheet metal will rip at those brackets after awile, i ended up swapping another door in, if you do take them off DONT pull the bolts out of the body, take them out of the door, it makes lining everything back up alot simpler, oh yea if you have power locks and windows you will have to wrap the wires up and zip tie them somewhere out of the way

8. sapper

sapper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

and if none of that makes sense its because i just reliazed that i was in the first gen forum /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif