Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

removing emissions crap

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Rustbucket, May 22, 2003.

1. Rustbucket

Rustbucket Registered Member

This is kind of of the topic, I bought a 78 motor home that has a 360 in it. It was built in California so it has a lot of stuff on it that I've never seen before. It probably has 2 miles of vacum hoses on it. My question is, can I just rip this junk off and plug the holes or is there some sort of science to it. The way I see it, it only needs the vacum line from the carb to the dist. to function properly and maybe the egr. We have no inspections here, so I'm kind of surprised this stuff made it this long. Any help from someone whose de-smogged one before would be great. I hope to pull the blazer with it some. So any extra power is good. Thanks in advance.

2. jhrody

jhrody 1/2 ton status

360? I take it this is a Dodge chassis under this thing? I'm guessing it may have the "lean-burn" ignition system in it. That's what you want to rip out of there and replace with a modern performance igntion system. If this has a computer inside the air cleaner, it has the lean burn system. That was an early attempt at compueter controls. All these lines are probably for that setup, so I wouldn't start ripping lines out like crazy unless you have a new system ready to go.

3. Rustbucket

Rustbucket Registered Member

Yes it has a dodge van in it, but nothing in th air cleaner but the filter. It does have an air pump which wasn't hooked up, and LOTS of hoses. It also has a vacuum amplifier on it. Hell I've never even seen one of those before. I mainly just want to remove this stuff to clean it up a bit and maybe gain some power and/or mileage.