Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Removing Emissions - Off Road Vehicle

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ironmikek5, Aug 6, 2001.

1. ironmikek5

ironmikek5 1/2 ton status

Allright, a month or so ago, I asked for input on whether I should swap the engine out of a friend's 83 blazer while I rebuilt the motor in my 83 Jimmy, and the majority said go with a Crate. So, I have, and am waiting for it to come in. And I also bought my friend's blazer. So much for making a decision.

Anyway, the motor in the Blazer runs strong, but in looking at the emissions set up, the stuff is either not connected, has a screw jammed in it, or is missing in its entirety (AIR pump gone...injection pipes are still on the manifolds, with a wood peg and duct tape around the connections for the AIR pump). So it is running strong in spite of itself.

I'm thinking of getting headers and ripping the remaining AIR system out, I'm just wondering what my options are for the remainder of the emissions hardware that is plugged or wide open...it will not be street legal, because we have a visual inspection on non-sniffer vehicles.

Is it a better route to rip it all out and put on headers, a new intake, carb, etc... or is the better route trying to reconnect/reinstall what is missing? After all, it is all there for a reason...

<font color=red>"Oil? That's not my oil...that was there before" </font color=red>&lt;img src="http://coloradok5.com/forums/images/icons/wink.gif"&gt;

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

If it is off road only (seriously) you don't have to worry about emissions stuff, AFAIK. I think its still likely a Federal Crime to tamper with teh emissions stuff, but since its not running on the roads, you shouldn't really have to worry about someone noticing that.

AIR injection is, after the vehicle warms up, for the Cat converter only. Pull the cat, pull the AIR system. AIR injectors are for vehicle warm up periods, but won't hurt driveability (will emissions) to remove it.

I would keep EVAP, as it doesn't hurt anything. Again I think it can be simplified though. Run the hose from the cannister straight to the carb inlet, and get rid of the rest of the hoses. It simplifies the engine compartment immensely, yet still does at least something in regards to tank vapors. Easier and cheaper than plugging the line from the tank and running a lower vent gas cap too.

Q-jet is going to be the carb of choice for off-road :)

Dorian
    My tech/links page: <a target="_blank" href=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</a>
    No anti-theft measures on your truck? No pity when its stolen

3. ironmikek5

ironmikek5 1/2 ton status

Yeah, it is going to be 100% off-road, and most of it is not hooked up anyway. I'd like to be able to make it legal in the future (if I should ever sell it), so I won't go overboard with mods.

<font color=red>"Oil? That's not my oil...that was there before" </font color=red>[​IMG]