Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

removing engine

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by adamforsythe, May 28, 2005.

1. adamforsythe

adamforsythe 1/2 ton status

I am removing the engine and tranny out of my '85 k5 today. Anyone have any tips for me?
    Thanks
    Adam

2. dave_90_blazer

dave_90_blazer 1/2 ton status

unbolt everything and pull it out, make sure you support the trans when you pull the motor

3. BIG*RED

BIG*RED 1/2 ton status

its purdy easy..i yanked mine during my one hour lunch break at work, back when i did it..some tips i can give is..mine was lifted 4 inches on 35s..cherry picker wouldnt reach, let air out of front tires to tilt the front end down, cherry picker still wouldn't reach..so i grabbed a set of un mounted 'yota rims and threw them on the front, and just set them on the ground..the picker reached then...so before you start make sure your picker reaches the engine, and has enough lift left to clear the motor of the radiatior support...it really sucks having the engine hanging and not be able to go any higer to clear...other tips..hmm..disconnect the battery, pull radiator and shroud, disconect hoses, disconnect exhaust, disconnect drive shaft, disconnect any wires that remain in the truck, unbolt tranny from mount, hook up picker, unblot motor mounts and pull it all out as one piece (engine and tranny) i left everything else hooked up to the engine (fan clutch, alt, ps pump, ac pump..just pulled it all as one big piece..like i said i had mine ripped out in a hour..of course i have done it several times..depending on your skill, you might want to drop the tranny first, then pull the motor..i'll probably be around most of the day, run into anything drop me a pm, and i'll answer any questions you might have

4. BIG*RED

BIG*RED 1/2 ton status

make sure you support the trans when you pull the motor[/QUOTE]

i think he is pulling the trans too, so he can eaither drop the trans first, or pull them out together...

5. adamforsythe

adamforsythe 1/2 ton status

I pulled all of my radiatiors, the front of my engine (water pump, air, pS pump, alt.) So there is about 2 feet of room from the front of the block to the radiatior support. I yanked my t-case last weekend. The only thing I have left to do it to pull the tranny dip stick tube, and then hook the hoist up and pull the motor mounts. I think it should go pretty easy.
    Thanks
    Adam

6. akbound

akbound 1/2 ton status

Pulling it out is easy.........getting it back in is the hard part. :cool1:

7. BIG*RED

BIG*RED 1/2 ton status

yeah it can be, lol..my buddy and i ended up having to "man handle" mine..dang motor mounts would not line up, while hooked to the cherry picker, so we un hooked it, and each grabbed a side, and with alot of grunting, lifted and placed the engine where it needed to be..

8. k5freak44

k5freak44 1/2 ton status

engine work is always more fun then anything like, suspension or something like that

i guess b/c u spend alot less time under the car