Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Removing exterior Handles on 91 Suburban need tips

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by tch777, Sep 26, 2004.

1. tch777

tch777 1/2 ton status

Okay have the sub stripped down and ready for go for paint.
    But I want to take the outside door handles off.
    I can get them un bolted but I can't get the damm linkage off inside the door.
    Hayes says stick a long thin screw driver down inside the door from the glass slot and pop it off but that would be like a 2 foot screw driver.
    Has anyone successfully taken their handles off? If so how did you do it without wrecking anything?

Thanks

Tim

2. MOABDADC22

MOABDADC22 1/2 ton status

You have to take the interior door panel off and reach inside and bend your hand in the most un-natural way to get the clip off of the rod that extends down to the latch mechanism.

3. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    You have to take the interior door panel off and reach inside and bend your hand in the most un-natural way to get the clip off of the rod that extends down to the latch mechanism.

[/ QUOTE ]
    What he said. I also had to use some not so nice words /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

4. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I had tried to replace a few of those handles--on every one so far the little plastic thing that holds the rod on broke off--I ended up getting both the door latch lock mechanism and the external door handle from the dealer,cost about 40 bucks for both,they had several in stock--guess they go through a lot of them.It wasnt much fun putting them in--and when I was done my hands and arms looked like I dragged them through a pile of briars,cut and bloody--I'd hate to be the guy to install them after a nice paint job,and try to do it without scratching anything! /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

5. tch777

tch777 1/2 ton status

Well both me and my wife tried to get in there to pop the clip off but no luck. So I drilled a 1/2 inch hole in the door right near the rod clip, used a small screwdriver to pry down the clip and then popped the rod out of the bracket. Took 10 minutes a door with removing the interior trim to remove the outer handle.

Tim

6. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Sounds like the plan!--too bad GM's engineers couldnt have thought about putting a hole there factory,so you could actually fix it without causing more damage than you started with.I'm going to use your trick next time I have to change one--that is,if the customer doesnt mind me drilling a hole in his door--or isnt looking! /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif
    maybe thats why they dont let you watch at the dealership while they work on your vehicle(they blame it on insurance regulations--but we know better!) /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif