Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Removing fenders and wheel wells...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by james miller, Feb 8, 2004.

1. james miller

james miller Newbie

Hey!

I just need some help with my fenders and inner wheel wells. I have rust that has gone through the fender on the left rear of the truck, and can't seem to get the inner wheel well off. First, I would like the truck to be restorable one day when I have the money, which would probably be in about 10 years or so. I was origionally planning to repair the rust,(fiberglass, bondo) But I can't get the inner wheel well off. I have removed all the bolts and everything, and it just won't move at all. Does anyone know what my problem is? Now, I could just cut this part off of the fender, and be done with it, and I would get more clearance too. from your expeiriance with rust, would I be better off just buying new fenders one day if I want to restore it?
    Ok, next question. The part of the floor board right by the door that sticks up( its like a door jam) Is rusted through the floor. obviously, its going to be very hard to get behind it, and wondered if y'all had any suggestions as to what to do.

Sorry the post is so unorganized!
    James

2. the excuse

the excuse 1/2 ton status

i had th door jam rust thing too and i had holes through it. i cut the rust out and used metal tape to make the shape again, mine were small (quarter size) so i just laid thick paint on it then had it bedlined when i got my interior done. i think it would be good to use the metal tape to make the shape then pour jb weild all over it. just make sure it seals up good.

3. james miller

james miller Newbie

thanks for the reply. Anyone else????

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

First off, if you have that kind of rust now the truck might not see another 10 years without some help now.

Secondly, for a resto new inners and outer fenders is the way to go. A good used front clip with no rust can be had from anywhere between $100 and $800 (depending on condition and what's included)

Floor rust should be cut out as far back as needed to get into solid metal and a patch welded in.

Rene