Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

removing front clip

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by shupach, May 30, 2002.

1. shupach

shupach 1/2 ton status

bout to do this, anyone got any advice as to how? i heard there were like 8 bolts? i have a 76 K5 btw.

phill

2. shupach

shupach 1/2 ton status

ttt, come one someone help me on this i really have no idea cause i have never done this.

phill

3. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Just helped a friend do it on his 86..Had to remove the doors to get to the one bolt on the inside..Also had to remove the bumper.. But other then that there where only about 8 bolts..Dan

4. shupach

shupach 1/2 ton status

sweet, where exactly are the bolts? and why is ur username thing green?

phill

5. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

OK on each fender there is 1 at the top back corner in the hood. (on 81 up this would be under the cowl cover) 1 in the door at the top. 1 under the fender from the rocker out behind the wheel. Remove the wheel house and theres 1 in there to the cowl (firewall) Body mount bolt at radiator support. And the wiring harness. I think that about covers it.

These are the ones to remove the clip in 1 piece.

If you look at the pics I have in "PI under construction" on Webshots you may be able to see most of the bolt holes. I have an 86 but its the same on the earlier ones.

6. Stomper

Stomper ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ GMOTM Winner

And if your pulling the clip in one piece you will need to remove the front tires as the inerfenderwells will bind on the tire.....

7. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

whatchya up to there, phillip?

8. shupach

shupach 1/2 ton status

aight thanks for the info

bryan - wouldnt u like to know...heheh, jk, takin the engine and tranny out, rebuilding the 400 w/ little goodies such as the edelbrock multi port fuel injection (bday present), gonna up the cr to 9.5:1 and dunno the rest of the details, my physic teacher's husband used to drag race professionally and he's gonna help out w/ the build up.

cya at the meeting next thursday

phill

9. Pure Insanity

The inner fenders MUST come off to access the bolt under them. (I think) Its been a while since I had mine off so I may be wrong now that I think about my previous post.

And the tires will only interfere if your tires ar in the fenders. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

10. spoolnaround

spoolnaround 1/2 ton status

You dont need to take the fenderwells or tires off. Make sure you disconnect what little wiring is attached to the fenderwells and fenders. Done forget the heater hoses, you might want to take those off. Get a couple of buddies to help out in the removal, I did it with one other friend and what a pain in the a$$ that was. If I remember right I swore I wasnt going to do it that way again for some reason. Have fun.

11. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

The innerfenderwells don't need to come off. And the front tires can stay on. It comes off in one piece.. I'm green cause I am moderator for Nor-Cal Big Dawgs forum....Dan

12. Stomper

Stomper ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ GMOTM Winner

You're right the tires don't have to come off but if you are trying to make it EZ It sure don't hurt anything...:)

13. Pure Insanity

Yep I was wrong. I went and looked at my pics and didnt see what I was thinking about. Hey cut me some slack I have been working on cars for a living for over 13 yrs. Theyre starting to all blend together I guess. LOL!