Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Removing front inner fenderwells?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by eldon519, Jun 2, 2002.

1. eldon519

eldon519 1/2 ton status

Alright, i'm in the process of removing the inner fenderwell and i need to know if there is anything else that needs to be done with it. Do i need to move everything that sits on top of it or will it be fine just to leave the stuff there. It's not going in the mud or anything so i shouldn't have to worry too much about dirtying the engine up.

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

You may need to add some support for your battery tray, but I think most of it bolts to the fender itself and the core support. On the drivers side you may have to do something with the windshield washer bottle but I'm not sure. I haven't had a washer bottle in 5 years now.

Rene

3. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

. I haven't had a washer bottle in 5 years now.

<hr></blockquote>
    LOL... Mine has not worked in about 4 years.

4. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

any other tips on this? I am thinking about ditching my inner fenders too...

J

5. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

just curious- if it's not going in the mudd,,, why are you getting rid of them? I was thinking it was for flex or something, but if this is for off-road, it's going to get dirty, be it mudd or sand, or whatever, its going to..even dust..if you've ever looked at the inside of an innerfender on an "on road" rig, you can see all the crap caked up in there..thats all going to be in/on your engine. Doesn't sound like a good idea to me??? or maybe cause I just spend $$ on new inners, and put them on ..??

Brandy

6. Mr.Chevy4x4

Mr.Chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

I'm with you Brandy! I think the inner fender removal thing started in the '80's so that you could see the chromed out motor in the poser cream puff street 4x4's. I think that anyone that actually drives their truck off road would regret removing them. My $.02

Mike

7. BLUESMAN

BLUESMAN 1/2 ton status

Phoenix(but it\'s a dry heat...like an oven!)AZ.
    I've been running inner-fenderless for 3 months now.No chrome for me!! But it sure is alot easier to work on the motor!NO A/C,heater.hardtopless,tailgateless and half doors!!!But then again I live in AZ....so no need to worry bout weather problems!!

8. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

I haven't had any inners for 3 years...no chrome, no problems.....I like it a lot! In '74 they didn't have much mounted to the inners.

9. eldon519

eldon519 1/2 ton status

You can think of it however you want, but trust me, my engine isn't a pretty sight to see to begin with. Absolutely no one would be awed by it's sight. Big tires and low lift are the new style. Huge lift and rolling over isn't. I've got a perfectly good mud truck besides this one. Besides inner fenderwells don't really keep your engine clean to begin with. My Superduty has a nice coating of Georgia red clay on it and it's got inner fenderwells. My old Tahoe was the same way. I figure if I'm just driving around with no inner fenderwells in dirt and rocks, it won't be particularly bad. Have you never done donuts in a dirt patch until you can't see anymore, all that dirt is gonna get sucked into your intake as well. It's got it's pros and cons i suppose but i want room for the 42's that are coming. Plus it makes the engine run cooler.

10. 1BAD88

1BAD88 Registered Member

If you do decide to buy new ones make sure that if you have dual quad shocks up front to get the inner fender wells with the cut outs otherwise they will be a pain in the arse to get in and will always hit the top of your shocks ..You can get new ones for around 40$ a pop at www.autobodyspecialt.com.....

11. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

If we didn't live in such a wet climate I'd ditch mine too. My engine compartment actually stays relatively clean and dry so i'm keeping mine. I have hacked the back of the inners off as part of my fender trim though. If my next set of tires hit anything it will be the floor area of my tub...

Rene