Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Removing front spring bolt from bushing

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Fry, Jul 31, 2004.

1. Fry

Fry 1/2 ton status

anyone have a tip?
    I've loosened the nut to the end of the bolt, sprayed it down with some kick ass penetrant and can turn the bolt using all 500ft/lbs from my impact but it won't come out.
    I've been hitting it straight for a couple of hours with a BFH to the point where the nuts read to fall off. I don't have a torch or a drill. Its the last bolt on my frame so I'd like to get it off to finish cleaning my frame.
    Any tips would be appriecated.
    Thanks

2. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

Here's a tip.

Go get a drill. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif You could try a smaller propane torch to burn the rubber out. Good luck.

3. GMCLegacy

GMCLegacy 1/2 ton status

im guessing since you have hit the daylights out of it, it is now mushroomed on the end, and will probably never fit through the sleeve.

at this point, i would recomend finding a sawzall and drill. cut the head of the bolt off, and the threads on the other end off as close as you can to the spring hanger. then drill in from both sides until the spring falls out from between the hanger.

4. Fry

Fry 1/2 ton status

My old ladys getting laid off so no money spending on projects & tools /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif
    I got pissed off and stuck a 7" cutting disc on my 4.5 grinder and cut through the bushing. Sucks, I was wanting to save the bushings since they look like pretty new polyurethane ones.
    /forums/images/graemlins/grind.gif

5. Fry

Fry 1/2 ton status

like I mentioned I left the nut on the end on the threads has to not mushroom it or wreck the threads since I wanted to reuse it. I couldn't cut the bolt head off either since it is on the front spring hanger and there is no access there.