Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Removing gas tank

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by taz8000, Jan 6, 2001.

1. taz8000

taz8000 Guest

Has anyone got any experience with removing the gas tank to replace the fuel pump on a '87 Blazer with TBI

2. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

yes they are easy 2 do just undo the 2 straps with jack under tank and then just slowly let it down just do it slowly and watch your gas lines and the electrical wires while letting it down

s.smith 77blazer lookin 4 mud

3. bennett

bennett Registered Member

If you have a skid plate like me its harder , the bolts are a little hard to reach. I thought I need a new fuel pump cause my tank said 1/8 of fuel left. I took the whole damn thing out and guess what , no gas. put it back in and filled it up and off we go , no pump needed. (its always the simple things). wasted my whole day. Someone on the list says to always keep at least a 1/4 tank of gas in your tank so the fuel pump never pumps without gas in it. If they run along time without a fuel load on them they tend to burn out quickly. Makes sense especially if your low and gas is sloshing around trying to feed the pump. FWIW

4. 82K5

82K5 1/2 ton status

i also had to remove the rear bumper on mine so i could access the nuts on the strap bolts, but mine is an '82. maybe they moved them by '87.

Phil from K.C.
    1982 K5 Blazer Silverado
    Built in Flint, Michigan-January 1982
    It has one of the very first 700R4 transmissions ever built.

5. Itali83

Itali83 1/2 ton status

It is easy, just did my tank in my 87 TBI Jimmy. I took off the rear bumper and everything was right there. That will save a lot of time and agrivation. Everything else the others have said is right.

6. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

Unless the '87-'90 really changed, open the tailgate and look down, the bolts to the straps are right there. Also be careful with the wiring harness going to the tank, it unplugs on the front side of the crossmember at the front of the tank.

7. MICHIGAN BLAZER

MICHIGAN BLAZER 1/2 ton status

Hitches also make this a pain........on my 89 we got as far as undoing the front two strap nuts and prying the skid down until we gave up and decided to have a shop do it.( i needed a new tank though, not pump.) I ended up having to buy a new sending unit(not cheap) because we drive around in a salt mine here in michigan.....it was rotted enough to make it extremely difficult to remove.....they ended up partially twisting the lines on it and they didn't think they could put it back on without completely ruining it. But the shop was doing it the same way we were......they had my truck up on the hoist and had this thing in the receiver that pryed the skid out of the way.....they only undid the front straps bolts too, with the hitch there wasn't any room to get a wrench in anywhere......pain in my Beeehind....one fix-it job i'm glad i didn't do.

<font color=red>MICHIGAN BLAZER
    <font color=green>89 Fullsize Blazer
    87 Cherokee
    65 IH Scout

8. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

The receiver hitch is held on by 4 bolts, the skid-plate was 6-8 bolts, they weren't easy to get to, but took less than 10 min to remove. I can't Imagine why anyone would fight a gas tank through the skid plate. I am no mechanic, but I removed the hitch, skid-plate, and tank in less than 2 hrs, it took a little longer to install because of the new hoses.