Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Removing Heat Shield

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by AZ79K5Project, Mar 19, 2006.

1. AZ79K5Project

AZ79K5Project 1/2 ton status

I am removing my driver's seat. The nuts are tack welded under the body. Two of the welded nuts welds broke free above the exhaust heat shield.

Any ideas is removing the heat shield or getting to those nuts? Anyone know what kind of clearance is between the body and shield?

I'll cut it the shield off, but I'd prefer not to cut into the body.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2006
  2. AZ79K5Project

3. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

You could try removing all the exhaust hangers first. This should give you some more room to get at any exhaust heat shields. The last thing you want to do is cut into your floor pan to get at the seat mounts.

4. AZ79K5Project

There is only the 2" tube below the shield now. I have the room to get to the shield once I release the parking brake cable. I can't tell with the body line how close the floor gets to the shield. The truck was equipped with a single exhaust. This is the shield for the cat before they were moved for the double exhuast.

Anyone know about how much space I have to cut before it's too deep and I hit the floor on the 79 K5?.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2006
  5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Can you get/post a picture of what you are talking about? I can picture what you are saying, but I don't think my diesel tub is set up that way.

6. AZ79K5Project

About 1/4 to 1/2 an inch

I was able to cut it off with a 4 1/2 grinder. There is about 1/2 an inch MAX at the closest area to the bottom of the body tub. Did it w/o hitting the tub.:D

This was the heat shield that sat right below the driver's seat area, right above the stock catalytic converter. I don't think there is a truck on this site that would still have the cat at that location anymore. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the replies.

7. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

My 83 has the cat in the stock spot , I have 2 year tags , I'm redneck , but not stupid :wink1:

8. AZ79K5Project

Off topic - Hey pauly383k10, You know of any decent scenic trails around the E Valley? I'm not too into the rock climbing stuff (yet). Any good sites with trail info?

9. pauly383

Easy stuff is around the lakes , Upper Woodpecker in Florence , Raw Deal at Table Mesa , FR42 in Cave Creek , and some others . Pick up a copy of the book with the trails in it at Borders , or wait for some upcoming runs :thumb:

10. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

Ummm... just take the bolts out? There are only two or three bolts holding the heat shield to the frame. Just take them out and it'll drop right off.

11. AZ79K5Project

:doah:

Hey thanks - great idea. I though it would be fun use a grinder, have hot sparks and metal fall on my face, have the challenge of not cutting into the body of the truck and try to catch my hair on fire. :haha:

Two of the bolts were not accessible b/c the bolts were on top of the frame in between the body and frame. I tried everything I had to get to those $%#^$%@&$#^$#* bolts.:angry1::angry1::angry1:

12. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

Sounds like you have collapsed body mounts. Next time try jacking the body up off the frame. A scissor jack, a section of 4x4 post and a few cement blocks always does the trick.

13. AZ79K5Project

I noticed that while I was under it. The body mounts are in sad shape. Splitting, rotting etc.

Thanks for the idea with the scissor jack.:bow:

The body mounts will be the next project after I replaced hacked wiring.

14. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

Good call. Wiring is definitely more important.

On the bright side, you shouldn't have any rust problems down there! Throw in a couple hockey pucks and call it a day! :D

15. pauly383

I heard pucks can split , and thats enough for me to do it right . I got some at LMC for the trail rig , expensive , but worth it .

16. AZ79K5Project

17. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

"Hockey Puck" was just meant as a generic term for a body mount. Personally, I'd use poly. It's a little rougher and noiser but it'll last forever. :waytogo: