Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

removing hubs

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Bhintz, Feb 25, 2005.

1. Bhintz

Bhintz 1/2 ton status

god feel like an idiot asking this but on my old front 10bolt to remove the hub was to take the cover off and the 2 snap rings and screw in 2 nuts that held the case on pull and out came the locking hub inner assembly, ok so Im about to install my lockrite (which Im sure ill be posting something about that) in my D60 but cant get the ****ing locking hubs out, did the same thing that i did w/ my 10bolt but the thing wont come out is there another snap ring or something :confused::confused::confused::confused:

2. miniwally

miniwally 1/2 ton status Premium Member

On a Dana 60 there are two snap rings. One large dia. ring that goes in the bearing hub body and holds the locking hub in. The other goes around the end of the stub shaft to hold the stubshaft seals into the back of the bearing hub and spindle.

Now for the weirdness. On a recent D60 teardown we found two of the large dia snap rings stacked so to say. I removed one and couldn't get the locking hub out and felt the other snap ring in the groove with a pick. Pulled that one out and used the screws, that hold the outside part of the hub to the inner part of the locking hub, to get the inner locking hub out.

Hope this helps.

3. Bhintz

Bhintz 1/2 ton status

got one off w/ just brute force the other still wont budge and come to find out my D60 has a 4 prong hub lock nut and not a 6 which I was told it was suppose to have :angry1::angry1::angry1: