Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Removing leaf springs for more flex

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by GUMBY, Oct 8, 2002.

1. GUMBY

GUMBY Registered Member

I have a chevy 1-ton 4x4 crew cab that I removed the bed from and shortened the frame. I installed a skyjacker 8" lift. The rear spring packs were made to be used on a 1-ton truck that was used as a truck. I no longer have anything back there to create weight but a spare tire and gas tank. I want to remove some of the leafs to create more flex. Has anyone done this before? How many leafs and which ones should I start with? What do I need to consider when doing this?

2. Butch

Butch 1/2 ton status

My springs have two out of the front pack and one out of the rear. It will help with flex, but will also shorten their life span. If you take them out, take the shortest ones out first. If you dont tow anything then pitch the overload and it wil do wonders.

3. GUMBY

GUMBY Registered Member

thanks

4. BLUESMAN

BLUESMAN 1/2 ton status

Phoenix(but it\'s a dry heat...like an oven!)AZ.
    Another option is to simply flip the overload leaf so it arches down.Yeah I removed one of my leafs in the rear too....great flex,but no load carrying abilities!!