Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Removing leafs from spring pack up front for more flex?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Tuff84blaze, Jan 9, 2003.

1. Tuff84blaze

Tuff84blaze 1/2 ton status

I have a Rough Country 4" lift, and it lifted my Blazer like 6 inches, I have had it lifted for a little over 3 and a half years now and it hasn't sagged a bit. Anyways I was wondering if I could maybe remove the 2 of the 5 that are not clamped with the three long leafs.
    Anyways I was wondering If anyone has done something simuler to this and what the drawbacks besides a little lower ride hight are? Thanks /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

You can try taking one off and see how it feels.
    I have done custom springs from packs I had, I am also making some fronts from a pack of 52" rears with less leaves. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

I say give it a shot. If you dont like it, you can alway put them back in. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. BLUESMAN

BLUESMAN 1/2 ton status

Phoenix(but it\'s a dry heat...like an oven!)AZ.
    I removed that same leaf when I first installed my R.C.'s.They were still way stiffer than I wanted,and did'nt get much softer in the year I drove it,alot of rock crawling.I recently installed a pair of rear 52" springs,removing the overload leaf and relocating the front spring hanger.Now it rides nice and soft,plus it moved the diff forward 1/2" along with having the shackle angles at 45 degrees.The only problem that I encountered was that the springs lifted it another 1",so I'll have to remove another leaf.Mike

5. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

That sounds interesting, Could you post pics? Thanks.

6. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

These are my favorite kind of modifications. I forget which leafs you said you were going to take out. I have done custom leaf packs for several vehicles. When we are guessing we just take out the bottom leaf and keep going until it feels good the lift is right and the flex is good. Although doing this has caused us to build front traction bars for some rigs with really low gearing. There are alot of tradeoffs for being flexy.
    Blazinzuk
    /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

7. SAVAGE1

SAVAGE1 1/2 ton status

How much lift did you net with those 52" springs. Can you get 6 inches out of them?

8. BLUESMAN

BLUESMAN 1/2 ton status

Phoenix(but it\'s a dry heat...like an oven!)AZ.
    It's kind of hard to say the exact amount of lift I ended up with.When I first installed the 4" Rough Country springs,I removed the bottom leaf.I got about 5" of lift,I was hoping that they would flex out a little and become softer.After I installed the stock rear 52"'s,I got another 1" of lift(not what I wanted).Although I did add that "bottom" leaf(from the R.C.)to the springs.So yes I guess 6' is what I got.Note I had the "ORD" extended shackles from the start.I'll be removing that one R.C. leaf to bring it down and make it softer.The way the front rides now is 100% better(softer) than with the R.C. springs.It's one of the best mods I've done.Noe if I ever had to do a lift,I'd get the 56" rear springs,do the shackle flip in the rear,install the stock rear springs that were in the rear and install up front.The front spring hangers were very easy to relocate(almost like GM wanted me to do it!).You will notice that the body mounts have 4 holes drilled into them.Two of these holes(rears) are for the stock spring hangers.I simply air chiseled the stock rivets off and installed the hangers below the body mounts,using all four of the pre-drilled holes.This moved the diff forward 1/2",not as much as I wanted(1-1 1/2") but It does the job!About the only problem lies in the rear shackles.I have the extened versions but they are 1/4" from the frame.So I will need to make longer ones.If anyone wants to do this,I can write up something.

9. Tice

Tice Registered Member

i removed the bottom leafs of my rancho springs and it helped to give me some more flex. they were 6 inch packs and it lowered the front about 1 and a half inches, which made it match my shackle flip in the rear. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif