Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Removing leafs from spring packs

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ascuro, Aug 24, 2006.

1. ascuro

ascuro Registered Member

I have 6-inch Superlift springs up front, and it's a real bone-jarring ride...they've softened up a little over the last year or so, but it's still pretty unbearable over the larger dips and bumps in the road.

There are four leaves in each pack - the smallest one being almost purely for lift I'm sure. I'm considering either pulling the second or third leaves - anyone have any recommendations/opinions? Removing the third (second-longest) would seem like it'd have the most effect on ride quality, but also seems like it'd put a lot more stress on the main leaf up top...

2. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

I have a 4" Rough Country EZ ride springs up front on mine, they too were very rough at first, but wore in some, weren't too bad, but i still removed the second leaf from the bottom on each side, and it has help alot.

The ride quality has smoothed out some, not so "harsh" when i hit bumps anymore,,,it did however lower the front just a hair.

3. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

yeppers, other than the overload, start removing leaves from the bottom until the ride is what you want. Works for me.

j

4. gmc4cw

gmc4cw 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

try a set of greasable shackles and bushings. Or it could be that your sway bar is the problem. If you do not correct it someway after the lift it will give you a harsh ride. Offroaddesign.com has disconnects that correct for the lift. It sucks giving up height. good luck.

5. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

good point.. if you have an antisway bar, disconnect it and drive it for a week. You'll probably find that it is better without it...

j