Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Removing leaves to lower a truck...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sled_dog, May 5, 2007.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I am purchasing a rig that is sitting on a total of about 12 or 13" of lift. First step will be removing the body lift. After that the suspension needs to come down. It is sitting on 8" BDS springs all around. Anyone ever pulled leaves to lower a rig and make it flexier? I know I've seen mention of this on here. I think Willyswanter did it back in the day when his rig was leaf sprung, but I can't remember for certain. I'd like to drop it 2", end up around 8" of lift total. I'm thinking about calling BDS and seeing what leaves they would recommend removing.

2. JDNobodi

JDNobodi 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I have removed leaves to change the spring rate on my 73 Jimmy when I took it sand drag racing. It was a Rancho 4" kit. It lowered a bit, but not 2". On my 74, I tried to remove some leaves on the tried stock rear springs and it couldn’t support the blazer.

3. b454rat

b454rat 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I removed the smallest two when I had the 12" Stupidlifts on my truck. How much it lowered is hard to say, but guessing it was 3", cause I took out the 3" block in the rear and leveled it. And it actually flexed after that.

4. twoslo4five0

twoslo4five0 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

ive heard of it lowering it but get ready for some axle wrap prolly..

5. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

I'm betting BDS will tell you that isn't the thing to do. Buy new springs. I've seen it done a few times. Mixed results.

6. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I pulled the bottom small leaf out of my 6" TC rear springs when I installed them because I only wanted 4-5" of lift. That was a BAD idea. The first wheeling trip out I totally wasted the springs. That last leaf must have had a big deal to do with spring rate. Both spring packs have a permanent S shape. I bent every leaf in both packs.

Harley

7. b454rat

b454rat 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Oh and Willyswanter did remove springs from his pack. He was running BDS 8" and talked to BDS about removing them, said it would work, but the spring won't last long...He had a heavy a$$ truck tho....