Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Removing lines from oil filter adapter?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by divorced, Dec 31, 2006.

1. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

1996 K1500 with a 5.7

I need to replace the oli filter adapter gaskets because they are leaking, but I'm not sure how to get these lines off and I don't want to break them trying to figure it out. Are any special tools required? Do any parts in the fittings need replaced before reassembly?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

Pauly383 just did his a few days ago, get ahold of him....same setup

3. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

Thanks, I sent him a pm asking him to check this post. :D

4. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

A little different looking plastic piece than my 93 . Yours looks solid all the way around , mine had plastic tabs only on each side of hose .

On mine I squeezed the plastic tabs on each side and pulled the hose out . The plastic stayed on the hose , and the part with the o-rings that threads in was left behind .

I then cleaned it all up , and put it back together .

Reused the hose adapters , since the dealer of all places sold me the heater ones by accident .

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

not the way you do it on these.

The plastic you are seeing is just a retainer/cover. Stick a flathead between the plastic and the metal fitting, and slide the plastic down the line a bit. You will see a spring clip inside a groove of the fitting. Use a pick or screwdriver and pry the spring clip out. The line should be free to slide right out then(though it may be a little stuck in place). Reassembly is just the reverse. Oh there is usually a bracket tieing the lines to the oilpan rail at some point, so you will have to unbolt that too. Take a look at the lines really well too. They often leak out of the soft line section, nothing bad but its definetally a leak.

BE PREPARED, you may mangle the clips removing them. I recommend just getting 2 new clips right off the bat. I am doing an engine job in a 02 2500HD and am waiting until tuesday for 4 new clips that I mangled removing them(oil cooler and trans cooler lines are retained with this method on those trucks).

6. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

Thanks. I'll get a couple clips and hopefully get it fixed this next weekend.

7. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

My way was easier for me , especially since I was sold the wrong ones , again WTF is with the dealers now . And I needed it done for picking up the trailer tommorrow , and the Blazer was not the truck getting the dealer installed brake controller and sway control mount on its drop hitch .

And in my case , it was squeeze tabs on mine . Maybe they are aftermarket , I really don't know :dunno: I did see how they work when I had them off , and they spring into a little square on each side of mine when you push them back in . In my case prying out would do nothing but make them stay on there .

I also know mine (on a 93 k2500 ) don't look anything like the ones pictured above . And the part you thread into the adapter is 3 times as long on the wrench flats on mine .

Heres a pic with what I have , excuse the dirt , I never had the time to clean it all up pretty yet . It doesn't leak though .

Last edited: Oct 5, 2007
  8. BigBen

BigBen 1/2 ton status Premium Member

My 95 was like yours with the two squeeze tabs.

9. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

I got the gaskets changed today, and everything went well except for breaking one of these plastic retainer clips. I'm thinking that the metal clip will stay on the fitting just fine without the plastic thing... or not?