Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

removing master cylinder

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BranndonC, Sep 10, 2004.

1. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

how do i get it out, i've unbolted it from the firewall, but the shaft inthe rear going through the firewall is a PITA to get out and i cant un screw it from the inside, any pointers?

2. NoSmog73

NoSmog73 1/2 ton status

Real dumb ???? but did you take the cotter pin out of the pedal where the rod attaches to the pin.. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif
    I am sure you did but have to ask /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

3. 79Stomper

79Stomper 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

it is a PITA to get to the pedal assembly to get the cotter pin out. Other than the six bolts on the firewall and the lever going to the brake pedal that is it. I have done this quite a few times in my truck /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

4. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif the what out of the who ? no i didnt, i didnt know what to do, its kinda like when i tried to pull my motor/tranny/t-case and didnt unbolt the floor shifter /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif i'll look for that cotter pin. thanks /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

5. NoSmog73

NoSmog73 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif the what out of the who ? no i didnt, i didnt know what to do, its kinda like when i tried to pull my motor/tranny/t-case and didnt unbolt the floor shifter /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif i'll look for that cotter pin. thanks /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

6. mojo-jojo

mojo-jojo 1/2 ton status

Under the dash on the pedal assembly. you'll see the rod with the cotter key. There is a bolt that runs thru a bracket, it's either 15mm or 9/16 dependeding on the year. Take the bracket off to access the cotter key.

7. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

and, umm, the cotter pin under the dash is to remoev the BOOSTER ... the master just unbolts from the booster.

Yes, you prolly should replace both at once ... but you did say master cylinder... /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

-- A

8. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

i knew that /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif just got the two mixed up, thats all, now will a 1/2 ton master cylinder work with a 1 ton booster?

9. BobK

BobK 1/2 ton status

Petrolia,Ontario,Canada but working in Port Huron,
    As long as themounting bolts on the Booster line up with the MC your golden /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    Make sure the rod inbetween the MC and booster is long enough.
    When I put in my 3/4 ton Booster it bolted right up.I did adjust the rod slightly.Some have a threaded end so you can fine tune them.