Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Removing metal sleeve in rear springs

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by cegusman, Jul 5, 2002.

1. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

I am replacing bushings in my rear factory springs with od's bushing kit, I am tring to remove the outer metal sleave and can't seam to get it out. How do you do it/

2. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

I just did this.
    Get a sawzall and use it to split the outer sleeve. Obviously try not to sawzall into the leaf eye itself.
    Now, use a screwsriver or something to bend up both corners where you made the split.
    Not take a big socket (I used a 1 1/16") and sit it on top. Get out the BFH and beat it threw and it'll drive the sleeve, grudgingly, out.
    Not fun, but if I had done that from the start and not tried several other ways it would have gone a lot quicker.
    -- Mike

3. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

I too, just did this! Same deal... sawzall to make a cut right along the open edge of the eye at the end of the spring. Then a screw driver to bend it away a bit.

Where my plan changes is here... I went to Home Depot, and bought a $15 air hammer. Takes 10 seconds, and no BFH. I loved how easy it was. Made that job REALLY easy. The right tools can make a job so quick and easy.

Just my .02

-Dan

4. rockink5

rockink5 1/2 ton status

I too just did mine /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif Air chisle...... highly recommended, of course only if you have one. Sawzall would work to I guess, I would be scared of scoring the spring though /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

5. Rockjunkies

Rockjunkies 1/2 ton status

Sawzall and air hammer is what I used.