Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

removing mushroomed glow plugs on a 6.2?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by moturbopar, Dec 31, 2005.

1. moturbopar

moturbopar 1/2 ton status

Hi all my friend has a 6.2 suburban he just bought. It is hard to start in the morning, so we are trying to change the glow plugs. The problem is they are 11gs and 3 of them ar muchroomed in the head. Is there a way to get these things out without having them fall apart in the head? Is there a special tool to remove them?
    Thanks

2. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

snap them and use a magnet to get the pieces, most dont even try to take them out they just hit then with a chisel.

i have even hurd or guy cranking the moter and getting them out the back side, but I wouldent do that personaly.

search in the diesel forum, this has been discust a lot of time!

3. moturbopar

Thanks. I tried searching but couldnt find anything. We pulled out one of the other glow plugs and it was completely burnt away.

4. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

in search i find the advance seach works better and you can narrow the search to a singel or a group of forum makes it faster to find stuff that is spesific, ie diesel

5. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

did a search

also a glow plug removel tool http://www.jjandaracing.com/

all found in gm diesel forum all the way back to 2002.

6. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Nice job Dave...

Rene

7. moturbopar

Thanks I allready found the info. Using the advanced search. Its easier when you can remove all the other forums.
    Thanks again. PS we got 2 of them out by prying the crap out of it.

8. 6.2puller

6.2puller 1/2 ton status

If you keep trying the just pull it method then be sure to twist it as you pull. A lot of times it is just carbon buildup on the coil and you can kinda thread it out as you pull. I don't know if it is a good idea or not but just incase I stuck a air blow gun in their and blasted it for a second to flush out any pcs that may have fallen in befor I put in my new plugs.

9. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

nice :waytogo:

10. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

What 6.2puller said. Steady pull pressure while unscrewing it will work 99% of the time. If it snaps (and it will usually be stuck in the hole), pull the injector out. Then using forcepts or a nylon tie (to lassoe the tip) "work" it out. Broken chips are best removed by blowing compressed air through glow plug hole with the injector removed.

Trust me on this: the less broken Glow plugs pieces put/left in the engine the better. I've seen way too many recontoured piston tops on 6.2s :haha:

11. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

mine sucked to pull too....

I succeded in getting only 7 out of 8 out of my 6.2..the front most one on the passenger side will unscrew fine,but not come out..I was afraid to break it,because I have fears the injector lines will break if I try removing an injector..I have no money for any,nor do I have any for an intake gasket, or feel like pulling it just to get one glowplug out..if I had the right puller tool it would likely come out unbroken..

I used lots of carb cleaner and penatrating oil on mine..tried to get it to dissolve as much soot on the tips of the glowplugs..after twisting and pulling on them for awhile,7 of them came out fine..I thoght 2 of them were never coming out,but the finally did!..

I told my brother (a former GM certified tech),and he cringed when I told him about the "just unscrew them and start it up!" post!..he pictured the tips breaking off and getting stuck between the cylinder and piston,or valves..or worse!...but maybe it DOES work??--I've heard this from other sources that are usually reliable ..

I think if I had a 3/8" socket that had a setscrew drilled and tapped into its side,so I could tighten it onto the glowplugs hex portion,then I could apply more outward pressure while turning it,and it would likely spin right out..like with a cordless drill in reverse while pulling outward on it...:thinking:

I also wondered if its possible to drill the hole in the head bigger where the tips pass thru,so they can't get stuck so easily-anyone try that yet??:ears:

12. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

that is an interesting idea, anyone have info onto weather that is a bad thing?