Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Removing my rear seat question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Craig Artzner, Apr 25, 2007.

1. Craig Artzner

Craig Artzner 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I'm looking for an easy way to remove the back seat of my Blazer easily without having to unbolt it every time. Is it a long shot to hope that someone makes quick-release seat brackets for the back seat of my '73? :rolleyes:

I anticipate removing my seat from time to time this summer to put bikes, dogs, etc. in the back of the Blazer. Just wondering if anyone has ever tackled this.

2. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Well I did the next best thing, I put a newer fold and tumble seat from a 82 blazer, it only took a few minutes to do the modifications and it works so nice, folds and tumbles forward and only takes 8" so if you remove the seat you will get an extra 8" of bed depth.

3. skyyk5

skyyk5 1/2 ton status

Back then I had my '77 I was going to use hood pins. Don't think it would be to safe, but then again if you roll, whats going to save you?

4. ratpack_7

ratpack_7 Registered Member

5. Desert Yeti

Desert Yeti 1/2 ton status

This is a fantastic idea...I didn't actually know the later model ones tumbled...anyone know the cutoff year for junkyard shopping where they started doing this?

imiceman44, what did it take to swap it out? Assuming you get a donor seat with all the bracketry still attached, is it just drilling different holes in the floor, or is it more complicated?

6. Craig Artzner

The pins seem like a pretty good idea. I don't think I could bring myself to change out the rear seat in my '73 time capsule for a newer one. But it sounds like a great idea nonetheless.

Yeti I think I heard somewhere that the seats were redesigned in '78 along with the redesigning of the tub to allow more legroom in the back.

7. buefchris

buefchris 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I think the whole floorboard was changed in later years.

8. BlazerFarm

BlazerFarm Texagonian Premium Member

Yep. 1978 was the year they made the switch from the static bolted down rear seat to the tumble seat. That was also the year they extended the cab level of the floor back about two feet for more legroom for the people sitting in the back seat.

9. Desert Yeti

The tumble seat must not have been in all models in '78... mine is a '79 with no tumble seat. I think the floorboard change did happen in '78... my cab-level floor goes back to the front edge of the back seat... but the back seat doesn't tumble.

I'm probably most interested in the tumble seat idea, but may also look at the quick release plans too... post up if you guys figure out a good way to do that!

Thanks!

10. BKinzey

BKinzey 1/2 ton status

I think something more along the lines of a hitch pin set-up. Then by virtue of the size of the hitch pin you could have a higher shear strength.

Do they make wing nuts that large? How about welding flat stock to the bolt heads so the bolt is in a "T" shape and just finger tighten them?:confused:

Maybe use latches with some type of caming pressure lock?

11. AZ79K5Project

AZ79K5Project 1/2 ton status

12. BigBen

BigBen 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Craig,

Does yours have regular bolts?
    Mine is held down with bolts that have a knurled cap on them. I keep thinking that the PO did this to make it easy to take in and out.

I can take a picture tomorrow. I'm not sure it would help you much though....

-Ben

PS> Unless you go 'fold and tumble' your next best bet is to keep a ratchet with the right sized socket in the Blazer at all times!! :)

13. Craig Artzner

Yeah mine are regular bolts...your knurled ones must have been put in by the PO then I suppose.

14. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

The fold and tumble seat did start in 78, I know in 81 it was the only option.
    As for what is needed, the holes in the seat brakets are about 1/2" inch off so I widened the hole and used the same bolt location in the blazer, then the rear latch, I marked the location, cut rectangles in the floor 3/4"x3" and bolted a 1/2" rod fron underneath so the latches can latch on to it.
    And Voila.
    :D
    Too bad this question came 1 week too late.
    I just took my K5 body to scrap, could have taken some pics.
    To make it more beatifull you could cut out the latch mechanism from the donor vehicle and adapt it, but mine was a wheeler and was just about function, it the beast not the beauty. :haha:

15. Desert Yeti

Thanks for the info! My '79 doesn't have a tumble... either the PO changed it or it was just an option starting in '78. Either way, I'm going to find one...perfect solution for my needs.

Mine's just a wheeler too... don't care what it looks like. I just wanna be able to go from passenger capacity to cargo capacity with the least amount of effort :)

16. BKinzey

BKinzey 1/2 ton status

Somebody's got to have an online catalog of latches & fasteners to look through for ideas. If you have a surplus fastener & bolt store close by to browse would be good. Airplane surplus would be good as well. Lots of styles used there.

Let us know how it goes:D

Found a catalog. McMaster-Carr.

http://www.mcmaster.com/

Start on page 2892 to get some ideas.

Last edited: May 4, 2007