Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

REMOVING MY TOP

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by JERRY-DEE, Sep 18, 2001.

1. JERRY-DEE

JERRY-DEE Registered Member

Who ever owned my Blazer before me put some kind off weather sealant around the edges of my top making it very hard to take the top off. Is there a solvent to loosen this up? Any ideas?

2. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

I had the same problem with mine when I first bought it. I ended up using a string from a guitar (wire), looped it around a head bolt at both ends and a friend and I dragged it between the bed and shell, using the wire to lightly saw thru the foam tape between the two when necessary. It worked well, didn't leave any scratches because the edges are smooth but it did take two people and a bit of coordiantion between the two.

What, Me Worry?
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.echobit.com:81/k5/> The 'BEFORE' pictures</a>

3. Burbinator

Burbinator 1/2 ton status

I had a '77 K5 years ago where the previous owner did something along those same lines. I didn't want to use solvent or anything harsh in case it decided to eat my paint. I used a box cutter/razor knife and a wide putty knife to pry it up a little.

- Alan

'82 K10 Suburban Silverado (AKA U.S.S. Nimitz)

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.