Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

removing oem radio

Discussion in 'Audio' started by Kiblsnbits, Mar 12, 2000.

1. Kiblsnbits

Kiblsnbits Registered Member

What all is involved in removing the stock radio? Do you have to remove all of the dash? If not, what part? Should I wait untill I get new speakers for the front, and then do it all in one job? Any advice on what to do would be nice. Thanks

Blazer: A hole in the air, surrounded by metal, into which one pours money

2. MICHIGAN BLAZER

MICHIGAN BLAZER 1/2 ton status

i had to remove my dash bezel to get mine out....mine was kinda screwed up though. it had been removed and put back in by an idiot....all but two screws in the bezel were striped...they added couple more in different spots....took me the longest time it's ever took for me to remove old stereo & put in new....assuming yours isn't screwed up it should be a snap...just the bezel and the handful of screws that hold the stereo in place.

<font color=red>MICHIGAN BLAZER
    <font color=green>89 Fullsize Blazer
    87 Cherokee
    65 IH Scout

3. Get you one of those screw in dent pullers and screw it into the face of the OEM radio and give her a tug !! Whalla almost ready for new and improved Audio system !! Clean up the pieces(yes there will be pieces)and install new System!!

Take the knobs off and there is a nut behind them to take off, and then you can pull it out from under the dash enough to take the wiring loose. Oh yeah the panel under the steering column and maybe even the heater vent may need taken down !!

<font color=red>BigBurb<font color=red>[​IMG][​IMG]

4. **b**

**b** 1/2 ton status

if you want it done right / go to a shop....
    that is unless you alredy have aftermarket equipment...
    the factory radio comes out from the rear...
    you need to remove heat duct...
    if you are planning for a new system without the 2 nobs ...
    you need to do some cutting / sawzall. thats a chevy steel
    plate your dealing with now.

the front speakers 3.5 i highly reccomend
    replacing...

spend the xtra 50.00
    and have it done right @ a shop...

5. BlueKnight

BlueKnight 1/2 ton status

B's right. ITS STEEL you are cutting and it is a pain. The Shop guys also know how to fill the larger void around the stereo. The factory radio is usually bigger, thus there is a gap around the radio. Also to add to the above, there is a back strap that holds the radio up you will need to remove that also.

6. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

7. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

Remove the dash Bezel. Go to the dash under the steering colulm and remove the plastic plate, careful not to break the corners, then remove the metal piece beneath it. The plastic piece behind all that goes to the airvent in the dash by your left knee and the heater vent on the floor on the hump in the middle. Just move it to one side then the other to remove it. Then undo the nuts and washers from the radio shafts. There might be a screw in the back of the radio that needs to be removed. Remove the antenna wire and the connector for the rest of the wires and the radio should just about drop from behind the dash.
    Now for the cd player. Take the slide in piece off the new player and place it on top of the dash and use a white grease pencil to mark where you want the new one placed. I used a friends grinder and just cut the area out. Then I out it all back together and placed the slide in piece in place and bent the tabs to hold it.pulled the wires and antenna wire in through the middle. Hooked them up then slid the cdplayer into the slide in piece and job done.

<font color=green>Eagle86K5[​IMG]

<font color=red>Only guy I know that can get out of line in a one car funeral