Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Removing old bushings/greasing new ones

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 90K5, Oct 13, 2000.

1. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

I am going to be putting new springs on my K5 and I figure while I'm at it I will replace some bushings. I'm getting a TC 3". It comes with bushings in the spring eyes and I'm getting some for the shackles and sway bar too. What are good ways to remove the old bushings? Should I just use a drill and try to drill them out? If I spray a bunch of WD40 on there soon, will that help removing everything? I will be doing this probably next weekend. I'm not getting greasable bushings, so what should I do about greasing the new ones before I put them in and what grease to use? thanks

90K5

2. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

The bushings wil be stuck in there pretty good, the easy way is to just drill out the rubber until you can wiggle them out. Install the new ones with a little automotive grease and they will go in easy.

[​IMG]
    5,000 Pounds of American Rolling Steel

3. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

I just used the regular grease from my grease gun, but I heard that white lithium grease is good for bushings.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

4. Todd78/87

Todd78/87 1/2 ton status

When I went to put my new springs on,,, or pull my old ones off, I should say, I couldn't even get the bolts out of the bushings. I had to cut the bolts off! And if by chance the center sleave of the bushing has slid over throughout time and covers the bolt,, GOOD LUCK!!!! Don't know what they're made of, but I ruined 3 sawz-all blades in 15 seconds. I ended up getting a little 3" air grinder and a cut off wheel to get through it. If you are putting on new springs with new bushings,, why even take the old bushings out of the old springs?

Todd 78/87[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Haines,Alaska

5. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

I'm not taking the old ones out of the old springs, but I need to take them out of the top of the front bushing where its in the frame and in the back on the bottom of the shackle.

90K5

6. Todd78/87

Todd78/87 1/2 ton status

Sorry Dude,,, I read right through that on your first post, them being for the shackles.

Todd 78/87[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Haines,Alaska