Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

removing old tint?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BowtieBlazer, Aug 19, 2002.

1. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

I remember there being a post about this some time back....can't remember some of the best mentioned proceedures...I figure find a loose end and tear...come back and scrape clean with flat razor....maybe use some alcohol/windex solution as an aid....

2. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

Yep..you called it. Also rubbing alcohol takes the sticky flim off good /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

3. BIGJ

BIGJ 1/2 ton status Author

Yep, that's about it. Home depot has some orange smelling grease and adhesive remover that kicks a$$ too. It makes really short work of the adhesive left from the tint.

BIGJ

4. arq

arq 1/2 ton status

flat razor it as much as you can then use some hot/warm water with dishwashing liquid, just don't burn yourself. you'd be surprized how much the hot water alone takes care of it. had to do it to 3 cars now. dam CHP...

ARQ.

5. 91k5NC

91k5NC 1/2 ton status

I have used hot water like the preveas post said and it worked very well. good luck /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

6. JohnnyFresno

JohnnyFresno 1/2 ton status

I used a screwdriver and that sticker remover crap, man did I have a headache afterwards. It did clean it up pretty good though.

7. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

nobody else mentioned it but if you use a rasor to get one corner up and use a hair dryer to heat up the glue on the tint it will come off with minimal cleanup required.just hold it about 5 inches away and heat it with a sweeping motion almost like if you were spraypainting.i did this to a buddies car and he was amazed that this method worked so well.he had too many tickets for his tint so the last cop that pulled him over said he had to take it off.

8. Blazinaire

Blazinaire 1/2 ton status

Does anyone know if/how you can remove the factory rear window tint, it is the perforated kind (little holes punched out) The tint shop said that it cannot be removed and that I need new glass, WTF?

9. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

mine looked almost factory wasn't bubbled or preferated....came off like nothing....worked the edges up with the flat razor, pulled with good pressure and it came off for the most part backing and all, a little alcohol and the flat razor took off what eccess glue it left behind....damn its wierd not having tint...it was onlike like 75% light blue tint but tomorrow the 2% goes on /forums/images/icons/grin.gif (insert evil laugh)....

10. fulltopblazer

fulltopblazer 1/2 ton status

The factory perferated tint will not come off its little ceramic dots that are baked on just get a new backglass Their not that expensive

11. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Yep, look closely at the back glass. It doesn't have a film glued to it. As Carl Sagan would have said, there are "billions and billions" of little tiny dots baked onto the glass. Maybe you can find someone nearby that will trade with you. If you were closer I would trade. That "tint" is very sturdy and won't scratch easily like the plastic films will. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif